Growing Isochrysis with Glycerol

LordJoshaeus

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 23, 2018
Messages
600
Reaction score
540
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I found this cool article on growing Isochrysis that may be helpful to those who need to culture microalgae for copepods, rotifers, and other live food critters; https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2013/983465/#discussion

Apparently Isochrysis galbana grows far better when small amounts of glycerol/glycerin (about 50 millimols, which is just under 3/4ths of a teaspoon per 2 liters of water) are added to the culture media, with algal dry mass in cultures being 2.1 times higher when cultured in that fashion than in a purely photosynthetic culture; they apparently are not the only algae that grow better when at least partially fed by a pre-made carbon source (the above article mentions several other examples). If I ever try to culture microalgae, I am going to try this :) I hope this helps you guys on your marine breeding endeavors.
 
I have an actual question for this thread! Would there be any benefit to harvesting Isochrysis (or any other microalgae) through a 1 micron filter sock and then placing the harvested algae in completely refreshed culture media (eg seawater with F/2 and glycerol)?
 
Did you ever have any luck with culturing iso?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new