GSP Coral Question

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my GSP coral isn’t opening up. What might be going on with it? I’ve had it a couple of weeks. Tank is almost two years old (May) so it’s not brand new. Any ideas? I did a lot of serious tank cleaning today with a water change so it should help if something is off in nutrition wise. I don’t have a magnesium, cal/phos tests.
IMG_1791.jpeg

This was when I got it
IMG_1614.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks seem pretty clean for a 2 year old tank. Have proper lighting? Using RODI? Parameters?

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your water? What fish do you have in there?
A pair of clownfish, a yellow watchman, peppermint shrimp, hermit crabs and snails. I have to test the water yet. I pulled some from the tank before I did the water change and cleaning.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, my GSP coral isn’t opening up. What might be going on with it? I’ve had it a couple of weeks. Tank is almost two years old (May) so it’s not brand new. Any ideas? I did a lot of serious tank cleaning today with a water change so it should help if something is off in nutrition wise. I don’t have a magnesium, cal/phos tests.
IMG_1791.jpeg

This was when I got it
IMG_1614.jpeg
Assure its getting medium flow and moderate light. Additionally assure phos level not elevated.
Addition of iron and manganese often perks them up

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks seem pretty clean for a 2 year old tank. Have proper lighting? Using RODI? Parameters?
I use RODI water with Fritz salt. It has a Coralife light. I’ll be testing the perimeters here in a moment. I have a thread on the tank if you want to see the tank’s journey. I’ve added two dry rocks but it’s been running since May 2022. Shrimp, crabs, and snails are happy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need a little more flow in there
Agreed...
To the OP, I don't see anything in the picture for any type of water movement, just two bubblers with sponge for aeration?
If so, you probably need at least one powerhead / wavemaker if you want to start adding corals.
*unless I just missed something in the picture

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need a little more flow in there
I’ve been going back and forth on a small wave maker. It used to have an hob filter but it died so I had to improvise. This is the current flow above but I think if I get a wave maker I could angle it between the middle to top?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even a cheap wavemaker mounted on the side of the tank would get some flow going around your rockwork. *I doubt those bubblers are doing much of anything in terms of flow for the GSP on your rock

For thoughts, maybe post:
- tank size
- coral expectations, like are you planning to add more corals or was the GSP just something to try to see if it worked with your current setup?
- budget for wavemaker -- more $$$ = more options but I'm assuming you're looking for something cheap at this stage

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even a cheap wavemaker mounted on the side of the tank would get some flow going around your rockwork. *I doubt those bubblers are doing much of anything in terms of flow for the GSP on your rock

For thoughts, maybe post:
- tank size
- coral expectations, like are you planning to add more corals or was the GSP just something to try to see if it worked with your current setup?
- budget for wavemaker -- more $$$ = more options but I'm assuming you're looking for something cheap at this stage
They’re actually sponge filters. I’m looking to upgrade to a 46g this year (already have the tank). I’m just trying out this one and see how it goes in keeping them. Currently it’s a 20g H.

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It could be possible if you didn't acclimate it to your tank correctly, it will stay closed for a little bit while it adjusts to your reef system.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have api kits. I know they’re not the best.

Before cleaning and WC:

Salinity: 0.025
Ammonia: 0.5 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 160 ppm

After 20% WC:

Salinity: 0.024
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 160 ppm

I added prime before I took out the new water so I probably have bad readings for that but I’ll do a daily water change to lower the nitrates without crashing it. I can’t believe the nitrates stayed the same though.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op...

You definitely need a wavemaker.

Bubble sponges ain't cutting it. Also, the Coral Life light needs to be upgraded too.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started to open up today.
IMG_1807.jpeg

So, this morning I retested before and after the water change. This morning, I did a 20% WC.

Before WC:

Salinity: 0.024
Ammonia: 0.5ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: sitting between 80 & 160. It’s a little lighter than last night but not quite 80.

Again, I dosed prime & stability last night so there could be some inaccuracy being it’s API tests as well

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back