GSP Going to make it?

Brian Kracht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was looking for some opinions on this GSP I just got. When I got it at the store it was very green and fully extended like GSP would be. It had a long day in the car and I noticed after about 2 hours in the car it had separated from the plug it was on and there were 3 Brittle Starfish swimming in the bag that had come off the plug. I got it in the tank and now two days later it is still not opening up. It has looked like this since it was placed in the bag from the store, although as my lights go down in the evening and there is more blue/ less white I am able to see the green glow from the coral inside its sucked in polyps.

If I can see that green from inside the closed up coral, does that mean it still has life and maybe give it a few more days, or did this one probably not make the journey home? It was in a bag for about 6-7 hours that day in the car.

Thank you for any opinions or knowledge you can drop on me.

GSP.jpg

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be fine. Unless your tank is filled with acid, gsp is pretty much indestructible. And even if it dies, you can probably get free frags from a local reefer.

OP
OP
Brian Kracht

Brian Kracht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP can be moody, especially after a big change (like going fro wherever it was to your tank). Give it more time.
It will be fine. Unless your tank is filled with acid, gsp is pretty much indestructible. And even if it dies, you can probably get free frags from a local reefer.
Ok sounds good. I will give it some time. Thank you. Hopefully it comes around because my other corals are doing well. I kept seeing how GSP is hard to kill, so I figured I would be the one to figure out how.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

I was looking for some opinions on this GSP I just got. When I got it at the store it was very green and fully extended like GSP would be. It had a long day in the car and I noticed after about 2 hours in the car it had separated from the plug it was on and there were 3 Brittle Starfish swimming in the bag that had come off the plug. I got it in the tank and now two days later it is still not opening up. It has looked like this since it was placed in the bag from the store, although as my lights go down in the evening and there is more blue/ less white I am able to see the green glow from the coral inside its sucked in polyps.

If I can see that green from inside the closed up coral, does that mean it still has life and maybe give it a few more days, or did this one probably not make the journey home? It was in a bag for about 6-7 hours that day in the car.

GSP.jpg
Elevate it, blow off with a turkey baster to get sediment off and assure it receives moderate to medium light and flow. May take 2-3 days to perk it up

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a frag of this stuff, and like you was fluffy and happy.
Got it in the tank, nothing for a day... day 2 it came out and looked fluffy, but since then... pretty much completely closed up other than a few strands poking through here and there sometimes... (It's been about 2 weeks now).
First time trying it and I can't work it out. Maybe I should place it lower in the tank, but the light is only on 35% as it is.

OP
OP
Brian Kracht

Brian Kracht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a frag of this stuff, and like you was fluffy and happy.
Got it in the tank, nothing for a day... day 2 it came out and looked fluffy, but since then... pretty much completely closed up other than a few strands poking through here and there sometimes... (It's been about 2 weeks now).
First time trying it and I can't work it out. Maybe I should place it lower in the tank, but the light is only on 35% as it is.
Hmm well at least yours came out for a little bit. Everything I read says this stuff is pretty versatile in regard to flow and light so I am not sure. Vetteguy above mentioned moving it higher for a bit more light so maybe it does need some more light. If you get it more light let me know how that works for you.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

GSP.jpg
Theres a bunch of crap covering the GSP pods, note there is hardly any bright purple showing from their mat! IME do a 50/50 dip in some Hydrogen Peroxide and dip it for maybe a min and use a soft as a brush as you have to clean it up and dip in SW after the dip and place back into the tank. They'll open up soon after. Believe me these are bullet proof, I had a massive bristle worm infestation from the piece I received from a local guy and did a straight 100% peroxide dip for 10 min or so and it took them a few days to start poking their heads out and now are thriving ;)

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fun coral, put it on its own rock and let it do it’s thing:
1695780416525.jpeg

This one can branch and definitely can cross sand as well so I have to trim it. It provides coral mass and nice motion in the tank.

They will envelope/cover most corals and I only found that Favias can keep it contained.
1695780643267.jpeg

I don’t think you can kill it, maybe fresh water….

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

GSP.jpg
the grass will never not make it.
Unless you rip it out or flip the rock over.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - My GSP has finally been open the past 2 days.
It took a good 3 weeks I think for it to do anything. Every now and then I'd see it peek but it wasn't doing much at all. Hang in there and let it do it's thing :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%

Back