GSP not growing

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a little live rock with quite a bit of GSP around mid-December 2023 and as of today I have just seen no growth which is very odd considering I’ve heard it grows like a weed.. I have zoas as well with no growth and got them at the same time. current parameters below:
Temp: 78F
pH: 8
Salinity 1.025
Alk: 8 dKh
Calcium 420ppm
magnesium: 1350
Nitrate: 18ppm
nitrites & ammonia: 0

I’m stumped at this point.

note: I also have a few hammer corals, a bubble tip anemone, a duncan, and just put some pulsing xenia in the back to grow on the wall hopefully. We’ll see if that grows, I can’t imagine it won’t but I thought the same with GSP. All seem to be thriving, bubble tip anemone eats weekly and other corals always open up.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I got a little live rock with quite a bit of GSP around mid-December 2023 and as of today I have just seen no growth which is very odd considering I’ve heard it grows like a weed.. I have zoas as well with no growth and got them at the same time. current parameters below:
Salinity 1.025
Calcium 420ppm

note: I also have a few hammer corals, a bubble tip anemone, a duncan, and just put some pulsing xenia in the back to grow on the wall hopefully. We’ll see if that grows, I can’t imagine it won’t but I thought the same with GSP. All seem to be thriving, bubble tip anemone eats weekly and other corals always open up.
They are not picky on lighting but do best under moderate to medium light but Mainly need Good water flow. Give them bursts with a turkey baster to assure their base is not covered with sediment which will blow off like a dust.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity 1.025
Calcium 420ppm

It may take a little longer for them to establish themselves. I’ve had gsp seemingly do nothing for months, then all of the sudden explode in growth. If they are open most of the time, then patience may be all that is needed, imo.

ReefRebels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto to what Reefer Matt said. I only have a small thing of GSP but they did the same thing nothing for a couple months and then I wake up to a purple sheet spilling onto the rock I put it on.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_3491.jpeg
    IMG_3491.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 23

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the lighting is the issue, thats a small light for a 40 gallon and you've got it turned way down. I have AI Prime on a 15 gallon softie tank (zoa's and mushrooms) and the light is turned up to 70%. Turn your lights up, and consider to add a second Prime in the long term.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the lighting is the issue, thats a small light for a 40 gallon and you've got it turned way down. I have AI Prime on a 15 gallon softie tank (zoa's and mushrooms) and the light is turned up to 70%. Turn your lights up, and consider to add a second Prime in the long term.
This. Make sure to raise the lighting slowly though. Maybe 5% every 4 or 5 days.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet, thank you so much! turned up now. Should I expect any corals to close up for a few days as they acclimate?

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet, thank you so much! turned up
This. Make sure to raise the lighting slowly though. Maybe 5% every 4 or 5 days.
Is this a good goal level? I won’t turn it up this high now but just to get an idea of how high.. or are we talking almost all the way up?

IMG_3492.png

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet, thank you so much! turned up

Is this a good goal level? I won’t turn it up this high now but just to get an idea of how high.. or are we talking almost all the way up?

IMG_3492.png
Mine sits under kessil 360s turned almost all the way up. You don't have to worry about it being too much. React to how your coral changes. Takes a couple weeks to really see the effects.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back