GSP rock starting to branch

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock with an isolated frag (now carpet) of gsp. Its overgrown the whole rock as expected but now these columns are forming and its starting to grow polyps in stalks. My concern is they will break off, float around my tank and latch on to my main rock work. Does gsp detach like that at all? If so its time to move on from it and clear that spot for a nice meat coral.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no it won't just detach, but it can branch and reach other areas. Mine has done it from the main rock which is not in contact with the back of the tank at all and propagated itself to a wall of GSP across my weir box. It looks fine and doesn't bother me, but it can do it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of GSP having an issue with pieces breaking of and relocating in the tank, but I've also never really heard of branching GSP either.

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no it won't just detach, but it can branch and reach other areas. Mine has done it from the main rock which is not in contact with the back of the tank at all and propagated itself to a wall of GSP across my weir box. It looks fine and doesn't bother me, but it can do it.
Okay thats what I was looking for. So the only way that would happen is if something broke it off manually. I'm jonesing for a new coral anyway and this is taking a lot of real estate. Time to move on from my colony. Maybe I'll frag one of the columns.

Thanks!

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of GSP having an issue with pieces breaking of and relocating in the tank, but I've also never really heard of branching GSP either.
I know they exist, just not sure if its a certain subspecies or if they grow like that when the conditions are met (example: out of room on their island).

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have literally just gone downstairs to photograph the branching behaviour and there's a nem right on the parts that have bridged the gap between the rockwork and the weir box.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they exist, just not sure if its a certain subspecies or if they grow like that when the conditions are met (example: out of room on their island).

I had seen a thread on here about them once, but that is all I know about them. Assuming they still form the mat like a normal GSP then I wouldn't think pieces breaking off would be an issue

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gsp on a rock. It hadn’t encrusted and just grown up in branches. It hasn’t detached yet. It’s fairly robust so can’t see it breaking

69FE68D7-0301-4E22-B917-BF477734F7E9.jpeg

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem is still in the way somewhat, but below the nem you can just make out two branches of GSP, which form from the main encrusted rock and they eventually find something else within range to encrust.

20210204_084920.jpg

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem is still in the way somewhat, but below the nem you can just make out two branches of GSP, which form from the main encrusted rock and they eventually find something else within range to encrust.

20210204_084920.jpg
Sounds like its time to part ways with my first coral, I really don't want it on my main rock work at all. I'm already nervous about a very pretty but fast growing cyphastrea. Ill be more careful in my tank with encrusting corals.

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely wouldn’t give it up. Yes it grows fast but not so fast that it’s suddenly going to take over. You should be able to easily trim it to keep it away from the rock especially if it’s branching.
Here’s mine with lights out.

212D418B-4675-45CC-A88A-529E80735FDC.jpeg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's really cool-looking. I wonder if it's a different species?

You could always cut off one of the branches, or let it spread onto a small rock, then keep that bit and give away the big colony.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back