Gsp with a little green algae

  • Thread starter Thread starter Al.B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Al.B

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 28, 2023
Messages
103
Reaction score
92
Location
Fort Lauderdale
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some gsp from someone and didn’t notice the little bit of green algae in the cracks of the gsp till I got it in the tank. Do I really need to worry about that algae spreading? I have pretty new tank with little to no nutrients yet. Don’t really feel like taking it back out unless it’s likely to cause an avoidable algae growth.
 
If this is a new tank, you will eventually get all sorts of algae in your tank. Unless you quarantine everything (even snails, so they poop out the spores) I would not bother but have the CUC take care of it or have some other natural counter to it.
 
This is what it looks like, is this what a gsp looks like or is the green stuff algae, wasnt this green last night when I got it?
 

Attachments

  • D841982D-6222-452B-B05F-6B5CCC2BE0AE.jpeg
    D841982D-6222-452B-B05F-6B5CCC2BE0AE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
If this is a new tank, you will eventually get all sorts of algae in your tank. Unless you quarantine everything (even snails, so they poop out the spores) I would not bother but have the CUC take care of it or have some other natural counter to it.
Does this look like algae or is GSP suppose to look like this? There is no algae in the 1 month old tank.
 

Attachments

  • E24D4AAB-21BF-4D73-BD90-C55BD0911B9C.jpeg
    E24D4AAB-21BF-4D73-BD90-C55BD0911B9C.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 102
My GSP looks entirely purple when closed up. Hard to say what that green stuff is. Does it blow of easy?
I’ve since asked the seller. The gsp came from the upper tank and has an algae coat on it. It looks pretty established so I don’t think I’ll attempt to scrub it off unless it fails to open up.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new