GunMonkey's Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 Build!!

GunMonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, I decided on all the equipment and ordered everything. The list of goodies include:

From Nano Box Reef:
1- Nano Box Duo Fixture( Black on Black) with the new goose neck mount. Apparently these things are off the wall amazing, they must be, otherwise nothing else would have gotten me away from EcoTech Marine's Radion,hehe.

From Dr Foster and Smith

1- Nuvo 16( Tank only) in black. I would have ordered from Marine Depot but they said end of march for them to be in stock again....*** that
laugh.png

Marine Depot.com:

1- 20 lb back CaribSea Black Sand
20 lbs CaribSea Dry rock
1- Tom's Aqualifter Pump
1- Float Switch Kit from Digital Aquatics
1- Reefkeeper Lite(With SL1, PC4, Temp Probe, Ph Probe)
1- Viva Aqua Titanium Heater
1- CPR mini-Reactor for Biobeads.
1- MP10esW

To be picked up locally:
-5.5 gallon tank for ATO tank.
-Live Rock pieces to seed tank From Dale @ The Reef Room

-Stand- I jumbled around on this one for quite some time. I had planned a custom build, but went out looking anyway. Went to a local Unfinished Furniture store, found nada. Decided to risk it at a local pet shop and stumbled across a stand that was practically built for a Nuvo 16. Made by Deep Blue Professional, this stand is about EXACTLY the right dimensions for the 16. Amazing, and just in case anyone is looking for a Nuvo 16 stand, it is made by Deep Blue and advertised for their 15 gallon. 24x12 top side!

Stuff arrives Wednesday, cannot wait to get this started. Anyone with some insight would be great, in case I am missing something. Hope y'all tag along!

OP
OP
G

GunMonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taggin along. Sounds like a nice set up. Are you planning on a skimmer?

Thanks! Uh, no plan for a Skimmer as of now. I might consider one down the line. However ,based on my experience and research a Skimmer on a tank this small isn't really needed. I am a testing and water change freak. I plan at some point for a AWC system changing out water daily through y controller. Looking for aprox 5-6 gallons a week over 7 days....I do no, Skimmer(or should I say GOOD Skimmer) options are limited in these small AIO tanks. Although, any insight you have into a good Skimmer solution, please, I am all ears!. Maybe a Tunze9002 with a InTank cup? Do no if it would fit.....hmmmmmm

OP
OP
G

GunMonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I just noticed you are in Cleveland! I am from the Ontario(Mansfield) area! Small world! I tried to include a pic of the stand....donno if it worked or not. I also got an idea for a magnetic stich on the doors of the staturn a interior stand light on from a fella on my last Forum....gonna have to do that too.

OP
OP
G

GunMonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.... Maybe it will work this time?

Attachments

• 20140214_132053.jpg
    20140214_132053.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 546

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a small world. As for the skimmer I've been looking into them for my 10g but decided to skip an in tank or HOB skimmer, none of them have really impressed me for the money so it's weekly 25% water changes.
I like the stand.

OP
OP
G

GunMonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, I am a firm believer in water changes. A lot can be solved wit good salt mix and 0tds water,lol. Anyone have a bead on a good dosing pump for an automatic water change system. Or can I somehow run one through my controller. Was considering using something like the Eshoppes dosing pump and running a drain line straight to the sink drain........hmmm

OP
OP
G

GunMonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of somewhere that makes reasonabley price ATO containers from acrylic? I found some but 185.00 for a 5 gallon ato is outrageous. I need some taller, skinnier containers to fit 3 inside the stand. I need one for RO/DI, one for Saltwater, and noe for a drain.... I could run a drainline to the sink drain inside the cabinet...noto sure how happy she would be about that though....

OP
OP
G

GunMonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be great to have 3 that were 10L x 6W x 20H.....buuuut those don't exist outside custom....blah. May have to scrap the AWC for now...

OP
OP
G

GunMonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up having to cancel my tank order with Dr. Fosters as UPS decided(for some reason) to re-route my tank to Ohio......I wasn't waiting till the 24th for my tank. Found a local detailer who had the tank, so I went ahead and drove the hour and picked one up last night! All my other equipment arrived as well! Build is not underway!

This tank was 248.00 without the Skyye lights online. Opened the box and I got them in this Nuvo purchased from the LFS(only paid 250.00 NIB). Free lights!!!! Also, would like to point out I love the tank....hated removing the dang protective acrylic paper on the pedestal and false wall. Did NOT want to come off. When I test fit the pedestal on the stand.....perfect fit! About 1/4-1/2 and inch all around the pedestal! More pics to come when the rest gets here(which should be any minute now). So anyone who i slooking for a stand for a Nuvo 16, Deep blue sells this stand for a 15 gallon. Only thing is space is limited inside, but workable.

Everything arrived from Marine depot, intact and undamaged. Impressed with the quality of packing, everything was tightly secured with bubble wrap, packing peanuts, or air balloons. Nothing rattled inside the boxes, well done Marine depot! Initial, overall impression is high on everything. I was skeptical on the Innovative Marine float switch kit, as it had some iffy reviews. I was Very surprised at the quality, solid and great fitting pieces. Hoping to have everything mounted and wiring secured by Saturday, and wet by the end of the day. Light is still two weeks out according to Dave from NanoBox this morning. Hoping he will shoot some build pictures this way
happy.png
. I considered upgrading to the Storm-X controller, but really believe it would give me any advantages. I only need the stock amount of channels, and for my desired programming the regular Storm controller should suit me just fine.

I did notice that the Caribsea dry rock seemed were much larger pieces than I anticipated. They are excellent pieces, but unfortunately they will need to be broken down to achieve the aqua-scape I am looking for. Oh well, no biggie.....anyone want to pump some scape ideas this way?
rolleyes.gif

Attachments

• tank4.jpg
    tank4.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 456
  • stand1.jpg
    stand1.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 417
  • supply2.jpg
    supply2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 391
  • tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 397
  • tank3.jpg
    tank3.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 419
OP
OP
G

GunMonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more pics to go with the above. Water Tested the 5.5 Gallon for my ATO. Was going to build custom tanks for ATO/AWC, but decided to go a different direction. Will eventually run my auto water change from a closeby closet, which can hold larger resevoirs for a drain line and fill line.

Attachments

• test1.jpg
    test1.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 415
  • test2.jpg
    test2.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 391
  • supply1.jpg
    supply1.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 375
  • supply2.jpg
    supply2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 418

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaah so that explains the UPS guy trying to deliver a Nuvo 16 to my house!!! Just kidding. Nice score on the tank and lights. Looks like your rocks might lend themselves to doing islands or pillar type aquascape.
I'm a big fan of the island look. Leaves lots of room on the sandbed for stuff like LPS and Mushroom rocks.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool build so far!

OP
OP
G

GunMonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words eveyone. I spent most the evening running and securing equipment and wires. Done with wiring at this point, however it is a mess. The limited space makes it very hard to get the perfection I crave. Spent a ton of time on the aquascape. I cannot get it right! I agree on the island piller idea, but I just can't make it work! His thing is a nightmare to scape. Anyway, here are some picks before bed( hitting the hay early). I would stay up later, but I have to oversee the removal of two, 25mm 242 Bush master cannons tommorow....

Attachments

• 20140220_173232.jpg
    20140220_173232.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 409
  • 20140220_173242.jpg
    20140220_173242.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 356
  • 20140220_184037.jpg
    20140220_184037.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 382
  • 20140220_181857.jpg
    20140220_181857.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 387
  • 20140220_202739.jpg
    20140220_202739.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 407
OP
OP
G

GunMonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice progress looks like it's gonna be a nice clean setup.

Thanks!
Concerned about the Toms lifter pump and its ability to lift the water 47 inches. Box says 30" max, did a test at the current height, but it is only a drip. I may need toget something a bit more beefy. Thinking about just getting a Cobalt MJ600 and running it inside the ATO resevoir. Max head on that is 53"( I would use the Cobalt MJ400, but max head is only 29") Anyone have some input on this? I don't want to mega blast water into the tank........hmm

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 51 48.6%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 39 37.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back