OP
D

dexterie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update...

I’m about to give up... give up on saltwater and go back to my “comfort place”, freshwater..

The algae/bacteria issue is not solved. Tried another blackout, chemiclean and then fluconazole. It got better. I’m on day 10 of fluconazole.
Been scrubbing and blowing the algae and they don’t seem to come back at the same speed as before.

Lost snails, a skunk shrimp and, just last night, a cardinal fish. Probably the chitons and other hitchhikers are gone too. Corals are looking desperate. I believe it really is lyngbya and it released toxins..killing everything. (I believe the death of the cardinal was just coincidental, as it was very picky since day 1 and never ate as much as all the others).

The tank is not pretty. Looks ugly, dirty and like the end of the world :(

I’ll give it until the end of the month. If the issue persists, I’ll tive up. It’s becoming more a source of stress than pleasure and a bit of a money pit. I know it’s an expensive hobby, but I don’t mind it being expensive when I enjoy it...

Thank you all for your help and comments.

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this is an old thread... I believe I have both lyngbya (or calothrix) and GHA in my tank. I will be checking with a microscope again and will post photos if possible. What is the latest greatest way to eradicate?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back