Guys Please No:(

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies for the beginner question, but what's so bad about Aiptasia? The live rock for my new tank has a couple among the mushrooms and green stars, and I find them interesting. So long as I get a couple of peppermint shrimp to keep the numbers in check, what's the big issue?

Cheers

Scott
The problem is that they can easily multiply and cover the entire tank. They will also sting corals.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scott,

If you are adding peppermint shrimp to your tank to clear up aiptasia, make sure you look up what real peppermint shrimp look like. Most "peppermint shrimp" aren't actually peppermint shrimp and often won't touch aiptasia.

There are many species that are lumped together under the genus aiptasia, hence you'll likely receive a lot of different opinions from hobbyists as to their effects in a reeftank (some consider them the worst pest and others believe the response to aiptasia is overblown- neither is right or wrong, it just depends on perspective and their particular experience).

Some are more aggressive than others and can harm fish, inverts, or coral. Some rapidly divide and can overtake a tank very quickly and are hard to eradicate faster than they reproduce. Others seem to be less aggressive and reproduce much slower. Some tanks are able to exist with aiptasia relatively peacefully, while other tanks can quickly be overrun. For many hobbyists who have encountered the more aggressive aiptasia species, they tend to eliminate all aiptasia on sight as it's easier to stop an infestation when the numbers are pretty small. Others adopt a wait and see approach and the last group of reefers tends to let everything settle out naturally.

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that makes sense. I will see how things go and if they get out of control I will use the boiling water turkey baster method mentioned. Thanks for the heads up on Peppermint Shrimp also, I will keep that in mind when ordering.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1591808190637.png

You're looking for A, Lysmata wurdemanni. Be careful ordering online, many sites incorrectly ID their peppermint shrimps (as do many LFS). If you find a reputable company, you'll be better set in the long run vs. saving a dollar per two per shrimp and getting one that doesn't eat aiptasia. Best of luck!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back