Flatworms on hammers, but not frogspawn

smallcrpt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have an ID on these flatworms? They're all over my hammers, but not touching frogspawn. Please tell me they're harmless

PXL_20240312_214859564.jpg PXL_20240312_215024417.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240312_214706350.LS.mp4
    10.1 MB

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are nothing like acro eating flatworms where they actually eat the coral, but those will irritate the coral which will cause the coral not to fully extend and could cause it to die.

Jake Adam’s of reef builders would put out videos of his euphyllia tanks where he would just dip his corals every few months to keep the population down of these flatworms that you have. I personally was sick of dealing with them in my last tank and did flat worm RX with fantastic results. It completely cured my tank of flatworms and for me it was worth the risk of killing things in the tank for the treatment (no live stock was killed in my tank).

OP
OP
smallcrpt

smallcrpt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are nothing like acro eating flatworms where they actually eat the coral, but those will irritate the coral which will cause the coral not to fully extend and could cause it to die.

Jake Adam’s of reef builders would put out videos of his euphyllia tanks where he would just dip his corals every few months to keep the population down of these flatworms that you have. I personally was sick of dealing with them in my last tank and did flat worm RX with fantastic results. It completely cured my tank of flatworms and for me it was worth the risk of killing things in the tank for the treatment (no live stock was killed in my tank).
Thanks for the quick reply! How bad was your infestation? Hard to put a number but after dipping this 4headed hammer in coral Rd there was like 100 plus a lot still in the heads when I put it back

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply! How bad was your infestation? Hard to put a number but after dipping this 4headed hammer in coral Rd there was like 100 plus a lot still in the heads when I put it back
I had thousands, they were brown and stayed off all coral in my tank only covered the rock work to the point of turning my rockwork brown. Just solid flatworms.

I treated my tank with an high dose of flatworm rx and as they were dying and floating in the water I scooped out as many as I could with a net. After about an hour I did a big water change and ran carbon. 2 weeks later I did another treatment to kill any remaining and never saw them come back.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back