Gyre direction with vertical back wall mounting?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 425xl (4x2x2 ft roughly) that I wanted to increase the flow in for SPS. Currently I have 2 MP40s on the back wall of the tank. My wife doesn’t want to see pumps (I don’t either if I can help it). I purchased 2 Maxspect gyre 350 clouds to add to the back wall. I have to put them vertical due to other equipment. I originally had them in each corner but it blocked the glass cleaner. I have found that putting them on either side of the overflow works and looks the best. See photo below

Should I aim the flow on both pumps to the middle of the tank or should I point the flow towards each corner? Currently I have the bottom flow deflectors pointed towards corner and the top ones pointed to the middle. It seems to give decent flow but I’m wondering if anyone has any experience/insight on how to optimize them?

IMG_0801.jpeg

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think how you have them setup for flow is perfect. I'd just move them up 1-2" so they're further up from the sand bed.
It’s about a half inch away from the return so no real room to move it up. I probably should have bought the smaller ones since I can’t really crank this over 40% without it being stupid loud and splashing water.

moosereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you already have the MP40s pointing at the front glass, having the gyres create an opposite flow around the perimeter of the tank would be beneficial.

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a reefer 425xl (4x2x2 ft roughly) that I wanted to increase the flow in for SPS. Currently I have 2 MP40s on the back wall of the tank. My wife doesn’t want to see pumps (I don’t either if I can help it). I purchased 2 Maxspect gyre 350 clouds to add to the back wall. I have to put them vertical due to other equipment. I originally had them in each corner but it blocked the glass cleaner. I have found that putting them on either side of the overflow works and looks the best. See photo below

Should I aim the flow on both pumps to the middle of the tank or should I point the flow towards each corner? Currently I have the bottom flow deflectors pointed towards corner and the top ones pointed to the middle. It seems to give decent flow but I’m wondering if anyone has any experience/insight on how to optimize them?

IMG_0801.jpeg
I'm in a very similar situation. How did you end up mounting/pointing them?

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a very similar situation. How did you end up mounting/pointing them?
I put them on either side of the middle overflow and pointed the top towards the middle and the bottom ones towards back corners. It seems to work for my scape.

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I put them on either side of the middle overflow and pointed the top towards the middle and the bottom ones towards back corners. It seems to work for my scape.
I made a thread today that shows my tank layout. I have a corner tank. I was thinking about moving the gyres like yours... vertical on either side of the overflow, but since my tank is a corner tank i might want to aim them a little differently.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back