Gyres slowing down

Nerdist Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Gyre 350 on one controller. I'm can visibly notice the flow in my tank slow down over time, and I confirm the power consumption on my Apex. If I power cycle the controller, it seems to go back to normal power and fades once again over the next few days. The setting on the controller do not change, as far as the power % of the program. I thought it could be dirty pumps, but same thing happens even after cleaning. Could I have a bad controller?
1585833270829.png

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just took them apart to clean yesterday and the internal cylindrical blade was caked with algea. It was full of algae gunk!
So make sure you lower the setting when u put back in. The flow will be quite strong.
what I tend to do is when it gets a bit dirty I turn it up , but eventually you will have to clean!
Good Luck

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do yourself a favor and buy an extra set of cages and impellers from CoralVue. It makes cleaning them a whole lot easier, just swap out the dirty ones for clean and viola, instant power. Takes about five minutes to do both. It should be less than $100 for two pumps. I change mine every three or four weeks.
It's amazing how much bio-film and algae will reduce the power of a pump.

OP
OP
Nerdist Aquarist

Nerdist Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself a favor and buy an extra set of cages and impellers from CoralVue. It makes cleaning them a whole lot easier, just swap out the dirty ones for clean and viola, instant power. Takes about five minutes to do both. It should be less than $100 for two pumps. I change mine every three or four weeks.
It's amazing how much bio-film and algae will reduce the power of a pump.

Good idea for the future. But problem I'm experiencing isn't related to dirty pumps. Even after cleaning, the drawn wattage reported on my Apex power will start to decrease in a matter of 2 days. I just switched to another outlet on the brick, maybe it's the outlet itself. I'll see in a few days.

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi please kindly swap the Pump A and Pump B and see if it is the pump issue? And also please kindly remove the cages and impellers and see if there's anything stuck in between?

Back