Hair algae invasion!!!

amnesiac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. So I'm having a real hard time deciding how to go on the attack against my hair algae. So I was having issues with my SPS being pale and showing little growth. I run a Zeovit tank and was told to knock my alk down a few pegs and go from there. So I did that and over the course of a few weeks things immensely improved. During that period I also noticed that hair algae had taken up residence in my two overflows. Now it seemed like a great idea at the time so I pulled out as much as I could and fabricated covers for the overflows to prevent light from getting in. So as my alk was being lowered I noticed that my NO3 and PO4 were climbing, which I expected since I had just removed algae from the overflows (it really was a lot). I think that not only did the lower alk help with my SPS but the nutrients in the water were also contributing to their better color and growth.
So fast forward a month or two and hair algae is attempting to take over every surface in my tank. Nutrients have backed down to near zero levels and my SPS are paling again. Nowhere near as bad as before, but still very noticeable. Reds are fading as well as purples. A frag that arrived damaged wasted away instead of healing. Now here is where I'm stuck. On the one hand if I stop dosing Zeo products (aminos, coral food, etc) in an effort to control nutrients I feel like I could do some irreversible damage to quite a few frags. On the other hand if I pump up the nutrients in an effort color up my frags and get them in better health I run the risk of accelerating an already out of control algae problem.
I am truly frustrated beyond words here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

120 gal with 30 gal sump
T5 (2xblue+ and 2xactinic) for 8 hours and Luxeon RB LED supplementation for 12 hours
2x Maxspect Gyre and 2x Tunze 6105
Full zeovit system (zeolite, zeobak, zeostart, zeofood)
dosing 2 part (BRS), aminos (KZ line) and feeding cyclops and Reef Roids daily when feeding fish
SG 1.025-1.26
pH 8.25-8.31
dKH7.3-7.4
Calcium 400-425ppm
Phosphates 0 ppm
Nitrates 0-.12 ppm
Magnesium 1285-1350 ppm

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrub. Scrub like there's no tomorrow. Get a cheap canister filter with flood only and some carbon and scrub. Do some water changes.

Personally I've seen more probs with the odd and exotic dosing and nutrient dosings and number chasing stuff.
I'd scrub , reset , and just dose the big three.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrub. Scrub like there's no tomorrow. Get a cheap canister filter with flood only and some carbon and scrub. Do some water changes.

Personally I've seen more probs with the odd and exotic dosing and nutrient dosings and number chasing stuff.
I'd scrub , reset , and just dose the big three.
After that get your clean up crew. Turbos, urchins, hermits, lawnmower blenny, tomini tang, fox face. Natural defenses.

OP
OP
amnesiac

amnesiac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a pretty good CUC in there, but I'll add a few more snails next livestock order. Gonna pull the rock work this weekend for a good scrub. I'm really thinking Zeovit is more trouble than it's worth at least for me. If my corals were dope and there was no algae then you wouldn't hear me complaining (quite the opposite) but..............

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back