Hair algae killing my coral please help. Please.

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assume you mean .05 phosphate. Salifert makes good test kits. I use Hanna for PO4, Alk and Calcium. Tropic Marine pro for nitrate. Salifert then for Mag. If the hair algae is fragile it could be starving which is good. However, it’s all natural just unsightly. CUC will keep it at bay as long as you stay on top of maintenance

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assume you mean .05 phosphate. Salifert makes good test kits. I use Hanna for PO4, Alk and Calcium. Tropic Marine pro for nitrate. Salifert then for Mag. If the hair algae is fragile it could be starving which is good. However, it’s all natural just unsightly. CUC will keep it at bay as long as you stay on top of maintenance
I just got some disposable eyebrow brushes in the mail, planning on taking as much as I can out this evening, whenever I mess with it though, it spreads like wildfire to all my other rocks. It drifts around and what Dosnt go in the filter is a nuisance, what did you recommend for me to get?

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just pop them off and remount them on new plugs in lieu of having to also deal the gha growing on the old plugs. You could also just carefully work around them and clean the plugs as you go.
I’ve always used toothbrush to clean my plugs, I also can lightly scrub my zoas and GSP, it ticks them off but they get over it and look lots better afterwards,, I brush All my corals if needed never killed one yet by doing it

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always used toothbrush to clean my plugs, I also can lightly scrub my zoas and GSP, it ****** them off but they get over it and look lots better afterwards,, I brush All my corals if needed never killed one yet by doing it
I believe I brushed my frag plugs and the stalk of my tube coral, but the rest of my coral is the fragile to hit. The mushrooms are being taken over as we speak.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use your own RODI water for water changes etc.? If so, recheck the tds to make sure it’s zero. If you‘re not using Rodi water, this could be feeding the algae. Forgive me if this was already stated in th thread...

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use your own RODI water for water changes etc.? If so, recheck the tds to make sure it’s zero. If you‘re not using Rodi water, this could be feeding the algae. Forgive me if this was already stated in th thread...
I’m not sure, I’m fairly new to this hobby, hence all the problems I have run into in such a short time, I obtain my saltwater from my lfs.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s worth looking into. I’d ask whether their water is RODI (reverse osmosis deionized, means all of the dissolved salts/solids in water are removed. Best case scenario) RO (reverse osmosis, removes most of the pollutants of tap water but there are still some left and they could be bad for the tank and might be fueling the algae. 2nd best) or something else. I’d also suggest that you purchase your own Rodi system bc of convenience and you will know what’s in your water. That way if you run into an emergency and you have to do a large water change, you dont have to rely on the lfs.

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s worth looking into. I’d ask whether their water is RODI (reverse osmosis deionized, means all of the dissolved salts/solids in water are removed. Best case scenario) RO (reverse osmosis, removes most of the pollutants of tap water but there are still some left and they could be bad for the tank and might be fueling the algae. 2nd best) or something else. I’d also suggest that you purchase your own Rodi system bc of convenience and you will know what’s in your water. That way if you run into an emergency and you have to do a large water change, you dont have to rely on the lfs.
Okay, so basically it just makes the water safer for the tank and fish, and do you have any suggestions on different rodi systems

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I brushed my frag plugs and the stalk of my tube coral, but the rest of my coral is the fragile to hit. The mushrooms are being taken over as we speak.
As lightly as you can drag ur toothbrush across your mushrooms and zoa heads. They will get mad but they get over it,, just remember light strokes barely any pressure

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65g aquarium and a bulk reef supply 75g per day 4 stage value RODI system works well for me. If you want you could try a smaller, cheaper system, but I’ve heard not the best things about cheap systems. Here is the link: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-stage-value-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html
Looks like it’s out of stock right now, but it should come back in stock soon. Nice thing is that all the replacement filters are right on the website. You could also get the 4 stage value plus system, that way you wouldn’t have to get a separate tds meter. Good value with a pressure gauge and dual way tds checking. If you need it now, I would get this one, unless you want to wait for the less expensive unit.

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As lightly as you can drag ur toothbrush across your mushrooms and zoa heads. They will get mad but they get over it,, just remember light strokes barely any pressure
I have and unfortunately I think they are not gonna make it. They keep growing out to expand and the hair algae will block the light before the suckers have a chance. I’m gonna invest in uv and possibly a wave maker. This morning I found a piece of zoa in the sand bed dead. This tank is falling apart:(

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65g aquarium and a bulk reef supply 75g per day 4 stage value RODI system works well for me. If you want you could try a smaller, cheaper system, but I’ve heard not the best things about cheap systems. Here is the link: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-stage-value-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html
Looks like it’s out of stock right now, but it should come back in stock soon. Nice thing is that all the replacement filters are right on the website. You could also get the 4 stage value plus system, that way you wouldn’t have to get a separate tds meter. Good value with a pressure gauge and dual way tds checking. If you need it now, I would get this one, unless you want to wait for the less expensive unit.
Can you explain to a newbie what this rodi does, I’m still very confused. I’m sorry I know it’s probably a simple topic just wondering

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and unfortunately I think they are not gonna make it. They keep growing out to expand and the hair algae will block the light before the suckers have a chance. I’m gonna invest in uv and possibly a wave maker. This morning I found a piece of zoa in the sand bed dead. This tank is falling apart:(
Don’t freak out brother I’ve gone thru so much in such short time your head would spin. 4 days after first plugging in my very first reef tank, the water turned this ugly yellow color that it looked like someone peed in it for 2 days. Horrible algae bloom, put in a UV light and was crystal clear in day n half

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t freak out brother I’ve gone thru so much in such short time your head would spin. 4 days after first plugging in my very first reef tank, the water turned this ugly yellow color that it looked like someone peed in it for 2 days. Horrible algae bloom, put in a UV light and was crystal clear in day n half
So my uv should help out a decent amount, I feel like the back of the tank is so stationary the poop piles up and maybe that relates to recent fish loss

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back