Hair algae questions

jmp21677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling an outbreak of GHA for a while. I've been able to get my PO4 down to .05 and have been manually removing it to slow it down. My question is, at .05 why am I still struggling to get rid of this?

55 gallon cube
G5 radion with 4 t5 (bulbs are 3 months old)

I've heard people mention balance and it helps control the algae? What balance are they referring too?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll assume you do :) Idk. A friend has an old tank; it got overgrown with gha. What worked for him was getting a huge load of cleanup from reefcleaners and it did the job. This however I liken to the same method as manual removal. If you have an old tank the balance is there; the gha is just also has a good foothold in place to exploit your system for nutrients right now (is part of your export system at this point).... at least that's how I see it

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your white setting on your lights high? And what do you have for a cuc? Also like asked, do you have any corals?

What finally cleared my tank was doing a huge manual removal, and REALLY beefing up my cuc, I also cut my white lighting way down. My tank is now immaculate! After being overran with GHA for months

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The uglies happen to us all. Ensure proper CuC, reduce white lighting, manual removal, dosing live phyto. All easy ways to help with the problem. Maturity is what is needed, but those will help along the way.

OP
OP
J

jmp21677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is several years old. Clean up consists of hermits, snails etc. I added a large amount mixture of 150 about 2 months ago. I did remove some of my sand as that was likely causing my elevated levels previously. Tank is a mixture of lps,sps and zoas. My colors are the best they've ever been. That's what makes it so frustrating. White lights were turned down last week.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back