Hair algae

Isiah1820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I'm getting green hair algae on one of my rocks where my zoas are glued down, and it's starting to grow around the zoas. Can this be a issue for the zoas? Any tips to get rid of it? Its not coming off when I try and suck it out. I've already tried to cut down on feeding. What else could be done? Thanks.

20200614_104601.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try attaching a soft tooth brush to the end of a clear siphon hose. I use zip ties to attach. Helps if you bend the toothbrush to a slight angle. A heat gun works great to make the custom bend. On the other end of the siphon hose, attach a mesh bag/filter sock and place into your sump. You can then s-l-o-w-l-y brush the algae off the rocks and into the siphon endlessly.

Just work slow. Do a bit each day. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby. ;)

Threedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a cleanup crew to mitigate the hair algae? I have 3 emerald crabs and 3 astrea snails that love eating algae. The crabs do a pretty good job. I have a shrimp that I thought would eat algae, but it concentrates mostly on uneaten fish food, which is ok too.

OP
OP
I

Isiah1820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 emerald carb. I can't tell what kind of work he's doing, he tries to stay low key all the time. I've been combating it with Water changes and replacing my cemi pure helped. And cutting back on feeding, I was doing too much with the frozen mysis cubes.

taylorpitcher11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a really bad hair algae issue as well. I ended up getting phosphate remover, turning off my lights for about 2-3 weeks and fed less. Really helped a lot! No more hair algae! I also during water changes, I would take out the rocks and scrub with a toothbrush in the old water. That seemed to at least keep it from getting out of control.

OP
OP
I

Isiah1820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been getting better for me, doing the same toothbrush method and feeding less.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back