Hair algea issue

xorolambo

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 6, 2026
Messages
4
Reaction score
3
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks a less than year old reefer here, but not a new fish keeper as always kept tropical. I have a hair algae issue that I cannot solve? Wondered if some people could give me some advice.

I have been battling high phosphates and had hair algae grow. I think my phosphates came from me adding the liquid and brine/mysis in to my tank when I thawed out the shrimp for feeds. Nitrate constantly always 20- 25 or so. Phosphate now 0.03 after a dose of phosguard being changed every 3 days for 3 weeks. Nitrates a little lower but I am doing water changes every 3 days. My issue is how do I get rid of the hair algae. I have a pincushion urchin that I was told would eat it, it hasn’t really. Also I have a 2 hermits and a couple of snails. What can I get to eat the dam stuff. Is making what should be a nice looking tank look ☹️



IMG_4473.jpeg
 
hi, can we see a picture with the blue lights off and only the whites. I don't see the algae in this pic
 
Probably going to have to resort to manual removal.
Personally I wouldn't worry about N and P too much if it were me. I've only had gha problems in tanks with low levels. High levels have never caused algae problems in my tanks. Test results from my 330 last Sunday. The tank has run similar levels, sometimes higher since starting 3 years aga and has never had an algae problem.
PXL_20261004_165655196.MP.jpg
PXL_20261004_165655196.MP.jpg
 
Probably going to have to resort to manual removal.
Personally I wouldn't worry about N and P too much if it were me. I've only had gha problems in tanks with low levels. High levels have never caused algae problems in my tanks. Test results from my 330 last Sunday. The tank has run similar levels, sometimes higher since starting 3 years aga and has never had an algae problem.
PXL_20261004_165655196.MP.jpg
PXL_20261004_165655196.MP.jpg
Yeah I have started doing that. Wavemaker off and return pump and I do 10 mins at a time. You can see from the above image I just get regrowth 🤔🤔.
 
The best Ang fastest consumer of gha is a seahare! My son’s 55g was infested with gha and in 10 days it was all gone. @kingranch2003 was experiencing the same issue and he got one and his tank is gha free. Welcome to R2R!
 
Yeah I have started doing that. Wavemaker off and return pump and I do 10 mins at a time. You can see from the above image I just get regrowth 🤔🤔..

i hate to say it but when I get this it's a long uphill battle. It looks like you may be able to pull some of the rock and scrub them then rinse in used tank water and return. You can also spray hydrogen peroxide on the algae trying to avoid coral and let it sit for a few minutes. Coral can be out of the water for a bit.
Was this a dry rock start up? All dry rock has resulted in gha battles for me and I no longer use only dry rock.

This was my reefer 170. I even did a Rip clean
PXL_20240622_003142518.jpg


Fun times
PXL_20240622_013637092.jpg


PXL_20240622_014712893.jpg
 
I am liking the Seahare idea and then rehome it. A lfs near me sells stuff and lets you take it back for store credit. Thanks.
 
I am liking the Seahare idea and then rehome it. A lfs near me sells stuff and lets you take it back for store credit. Thanks.
We swap my son’s between our tanks but when both tanks are out or low on algae he supplements it with algae wafers and nori.
 
Sea hares definitely work. If you want something that stays small though, money cowries have worked wonders for me. They're not the easiest to find, but they do a fantastic job with GHA. Arguably the best snails I've come across.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new