Hairline Scratch on Silicone Seam

Kevin Perera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Just noticed that there is a small scratch on the inside of my glass tank that extends through the silicone to the edge of the front glass panel (Scratch in question pointed out in red on the attached picture, ignore the other scratches as they are on the outside). This leads me to believe that the scratch on the glass pane was there before the tank was sealed. The scratch is not visible under normal circumstances and is only visible when you directly shine light trough the top of the glass, and cannot be felt by fingernail on the parts of it that's before the silicone. Should I be worried about this scratch? Will this microscopic groove provide the path for algae to grow inside the silicone seem and compromise the entire structure? Thank you.

IMG_5872.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not lose sleep over it. But in the long run, keep an eye on it. If you see changes, then get concerned. Just my 2 cents worth as a guy who has built 6 tanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not a concern to me. Run your finger across it. If you cannot feel the cut or move it- just fine

OP
OP
K

Kevin Perera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel much better now. Can't feel the scratch with my fingernail and can't see it even if I'm directly shining a light on it. Can only see it by shining a light from the in to the top of the glass pane.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back