Half and half mixed reef tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tchat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tchat

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 11, 2026
Messages
47
Reaction score
28
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR - 2 islands, one side SPS and other LPS.. different flow and light to each?

Setting up my first reef tank and I think I have a decent understanding of basic reefing theory. I’m doing a 36”x24” 78 gal tank with a double island scape. I’ll attach a video of the basic layout I’ve setup thus far with Ecoscape rock. I understand that a traditional mixed reef concept can be challenging due to corals having different flow, light, nutrient requirements.

My idea is to have one island LPS dominant with the other SPS dominant. A Tunze Orca (+/- another pump) could deliver customized flow which would suit each island individually. 2 XR15’s could maybe even deliver differing par intensities to one island vs the other. Nutrients and parameters would of course be the same so careful coral selection would be required to make sure everything was happy.

I’m certain this is not at all an original idea but i have mostly seen mixed reef concepts being more like “SPS up top and LPS down low” on the scape vs 2 very differently themed islands. Lmk your thoughts, good idea or more difficult to pull off than I’m envisioning? Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0490.mov
    36.4 MB

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new