Half lighting a tank

Gutruf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question that I really can't seem to find the answer to.

I have a Redsea reefer 350 that I will be setting up shortly (moving to a new place so got a new tank).

I got the tank with a Ai Hydra 52HD, I am saving to get another and will do so while the tank is cycling.

I just want to find out, the corals and fish I am moving from my Fluval Evo 13.5 gal. Given that the light is expensive, is it possible to only have the light on one side of the tank and keep all the corals under the lighting for now?

I will not move anything until the new tank is fully set up by that time I will have my light, however I just wanted to see if it would be possible to have a half lit tank.

Strange question I know but would be interested to see what the thoughts are on it.

If it is possible might give me more time to save then need be.

Kind regards,

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my opinion,
but I would say it depends on the coral you have, high light or low light. Keep the hight light directly under the light higher up if you can then the lower light corals at the bottom and maybe towards outer edge of light. It would be best if you could get a par meter and measure the light to see where to put the corals for now.

Any fish isn't going to care one bit.

Again just my opinion on what I would do if in this situation.

OP
OP
G

Gutruf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so as well, I will make sure to keep the corals in pretty much the same lighting as they are now under the light. I only have 2 clowns for now so they probably won't abandon their spot in anyway! But thank you for the help!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be fine, but it won't look very nice to your eyes. I light my RSR350 with two AI 16 Primes, and they do a fine job of illuminating the entire length of the tank. The "daughter" unit sometimes flickers out a for a few minutes at a time, though, leaving half the tank dark (it's in the basement). I only have some xenia on that side of the tank, but still -- not attractive.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back