Half of acan is looking weird, why?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an acan lord on Saturday at Reef Currents in Houston with 2 heads, the biggest head is looking great but the smaller of the 2 is looking kinda strange. Half of the polyp is looking smooth while the other half has normal texture. I did come home on Monday to find that my tiger pistol had buried all my frags under the sand. My parameters are all within my normal tank range (will post if need be). I didn’t notice if the polyp was like this when I got it. Will it be ok or should I start to worry or will it heal on its own? Sorry bout the blues. I will take another in white light after dinner if it helps. Thanks! EE4228BE-F73D-4058-A757-B873E42C93C2.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looks like it's partially deflated. It "might" be indicative of a problem but it's pretty common for polyps to deflate unevenly or on a side where it's bumped. If it was in my tank I would worry about it.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looks like it's partially deflated. It "might" be indicative of a problem but it's pretty common for polyps to deflate unevenly or on a side where it's bumped. If it was in my tank I would worry about it.
Thank you, I will be keeping an eye on it. As of Sunday all parameters were within my normal ranges and this is the only coral/polyp that im seeing that is having issues. I suspect the pistol shrimp moving it around and burying it has played a role in its being deflated. It caught brine yesterday and took it in without issue. I appreciate the response.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the head looks like its touching the sand. i'd try to upright it so it doesn't.
Here’s a quick history…..It went from, bringing home to sand, being buried then to rock work and then glued to bottom of tank all within a few days. I noticed it half deflated while on rock work so I’m kinda leaning towards it being irritated or injured by the pistol shrimp. Or maybe I bought it this way and didn’t notice. Not sure to be honest.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooooops!!!!! My bad! I would NOT worry about it
I think I kinda knew where you were goin with that. I will still definitely keep an eye on it. Looks a lil better now. Time will tell. Again, thank you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back