Halide wattage question

BkReefBaby

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 12, 2015
Messages
718
Reaction score
290
Location
Stamford, CT
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hey folks so i have a question....Im thinking about switching over to a metal halide lamp...I have a 40g Cubed tank...it has a bunch of sps that are doing well, very slow growth i think it has to do with the kessil light (the light looks great by the way) im running... But anyways my actual question is

How much wattage should i do for this size tank 175? 250? or 400? im already assuming i shouldnt even consider 400
 
The slow growth may not be due to the lighting.

Mods we have some multiple posts :-)
 
The slow growth may not be due to the lighting.

Mods we have some multiple posts :)
So what do you think is the reason? i have growth, great color, I mean the only complain I have is that the the corals aren't growing faster
 
You can push ALK but I wouldn't change what is working, it may make it unstable.
 
Depending on your dimensions I would think a 150w would be good. You can find them in our area for relatively cheap.. I'm on Long Island and found a setup of 3 Lumenbright Larges and 3 controllable HQI ballasts for about $300.

I think LEDs grow SPS fine, but didn't like the shadowing and I needed new lighting anyway on my other tank so I went MH over my SPS. If you are fishing for a good excuse to switch lighting, then yeah go for it. Sell the Kessil and buy the MH, or another alternative would be add supplemental retro t5 lighting to the tank with 1 or 2 lamp(s).

Truthfully though I've seen Kessils over many tanks.. I'm particularly not a fan. However, all that matters is that YOU are happy with the way it looks.
 
I would go with either a lumenbright or lumenmax elite reflectors, with 250w radium SE bulb and drive it at 175w with a luxcore ballast or other select a watt ballast that does 150w to 250 hqi.


EDIT: Also, another option is the reefbrite HyBrid but this is a much more expensive route but has reefbrites.
 
Last edited:
Tank dimensions? Like already said. Could be other things in tank causing slow growth.
But if you want to switch depending on dimensions. 150, 175, or 250 watt will be fine. Did you have a certain bulb you want to run? Are you gonna supplement the halide with another lighting type? If so what? Led? T5? Power compact. Do you want an all in one fixture? Or a retro fit? Do you have problems with stable temps? Are you gonna need a chiller or can you use small fans?
 
Tank dimensions? Like already said. Could be other things in tank causing slow growth.
But if you want to switch depending on dimensions. 150, 175, or 250 watt will be fine. Did you have a certain bulb you want to run? Are you gonna supplement the halide with another lighting type? If so what? Led? T5? Power compact. Do you want an all in one fixture? Or a retro fit? Do you have problems with stable temps? Are you gonna need a chiller or can you use small fans?

you forgot to add VHO to the possible supplemental list :P (I am not sure if the 24" vhos are still made )
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new