Halloween hermit hitch hiker?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheBear78
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TheBear78

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 27, 2022
Messages
493
Reaction score
358
Location
United Kingdom
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening all,
One of my Halloween hermits has this attached/growing on his shell (the white sectIon on the left end). it looks like some kind of snail shell but hasn't moved from this spot in several days if not weeks. Any ideas? It's unlike any other snail I have in the tank so I'm a bit surprised how it would show up randomly after almost a year!!
Thank you.
20230122_201659.jpg
 
Evening all,
One of my Halloween hermits has this attached/growing on his shell (the white sectIon on the left end). it looks like some kind of snail shell but hasn't moved from this spot in several days if not weeks. Any ideas? It's unlike any other snail I have in the tank so I'm a bit surprised how it would show up randomly after almost a year!!
Thank you.
20230122_201659.jpg
Given that's it's growing and hasn't moved, I'd guess a sessile, filter feeding snail species of some kind like slipper limpets or hoof snails. Unfortunately, I can't offer a solid ID based off of the photo provided, but if doesn't move, it's almost certainly harmless.
 
Being what looks like its capable of reproduction, I would place crab in small container of tank water and scrape off with a paring knife
 
Barnicle maybe
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new