Hammer bleaching?

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammer coral was doing perfectly fine until a couple days ago where it turned into this. I asked my friend who also has a hammer coral and they’re saying it’s bleaching. Is that what’s happening? And if so how can I save it?

IMG_9907.jpeg IMG_9904.jpeg IMG_9906.jpeg

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's not doing good, to start it might be helpful to give some parameters. Has anything changed recently. Has it been there for a long time or did you recently get it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's not doing good, to start it might be helpful to give some parameters. Has anything changed recently. Has it been there for a long time or did you recently get it?
Sorry forgot to add it in. My alkalinity is 9.8 my phosphate is .04 my nitrate is around 5 (using salifert) and my calcium is around 450. Salinity is 1.025

I haven’t changed anything recently. I did take a rock out and used hydrogen peroxide to remove the excess algae but nothing else has changed. I pretty much saw this happen this weekend. Was flowing fine last week

Upvote 0

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry forgot to add it in. My alkalinity is 9.8 my phosphate is .04 my nitrate is around 5 (using salifert) and my calcium is around 450. Salinity is 1.025

I haven’t changed anything recently. I did take a rock out and used hydrogen peroxide to remove the excess algae but nothing else has changed. I pretty much saw this happen this weekend. Was flowing fine last week
How long have you had it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sorry more questions. Do you normally keep alkalinity that high and are there any signs of necrosis or tissue damage to the coral to suggest an infection. If you blow on it with something does any tissue come off??
All good and yeah it normally stays around the 9-10 range and when blowing it nothing happens. I do see something small sticking out from the side tho idk if that’s anything.

IMG_9908.jpeg

Upvote 0

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look infected. I would say that your higher alkalinity can be a little stressful for your coral but probably not the issue. If you can remove it maybe an iodine dip would help. If it shows signs of infection that would require swift action but at this time it does not. If nothing has changed and it's been happy were it's at maybe you can keep a close eye on it and go from there. Make sure your tank temps aren't to high with this hot weather and don't pick at it too much as that will just stress it out more. I feed mine misis shrimp from time to time but usually they don't need it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look infected. I would say that your higher alkalinity can be a little stressful for your coral but probably not the issue. If you can remove it maybe an iodine dip would help. If it shows signs of infection that would require swift action but at this time it does not. If nothing has changed and it's been happy were it's at maybe you can keep a close eye on it and go from there. Make sure your tank temps aren't to high with this hot weather and don't pick at it too much as that will just stress it out more. I feed mine misis shrimp from time to time but usually they don't need it.
Alright thank you! You think it’ll still be able to eat or should I wait for a bit before feeding?

Upvote 0

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this, I also noticed that you did not list magnesium. Ime, most euphyllia are fans of higher magnesium. I don’t believe this could be the cause but it might help the little guy out

Wish you luck

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this, I also noticed that you did not list magnesium. Ime, most euphyllia are fans of higher magnesium. I don’t believe this could be the cause but it might help the little guy out

Wish you luck
I see I’ll get a magnesium test kit and see what it’s at thank you!

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something seems off in the tank. To me, that is excessive algae for an 8 months old tank. Also the pally's don't seem to tbe doing well, and the sps up top (I think its an sps) is dying.

Upvote 0

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you change water?

I wasn't changing water due to low nutrients and my hammer started to look a bit glum. A 50% water change and it quickly went back to normal.

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flesh is receeding and tearing. This been happening more than a couple weeks.

Up those nutrients, po4 above 0.05 closer to 0.1
Yes, sps dying also on top.

List your lights and par if you know it.
Mag?
How do you test sg and calibrate?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something seems off in the tank. To me, that is excessive algae for an 8 months old tank. Also the pally's don't seem to tbe doing well, and the sps up top (I think its an sps) is dying.
Yeah the room lighting changed so now it’s getting excess lighting. I’m in the process of moving it somewhere darker. That sps is pretty much dead. I asked here and they said to cut the good part out and pray, that didn’t work out so don’t know what to do about that

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flesh is receeding and tearing. This been happening more than a couple weeks.

Up those nutrients, po4 above 0.05 closer to 0.1
Yes, sps dying also on top.

List your lights and par if you know it.
Mag?
How do you test sg and calibrate?
Alright I’ll increase my phosphates. And my par for that area is around the 100-150 range not sure exactly what number since the egg crate lid kinda darkens the light going in. The light I’m using is hepargero A029. And yeah I already asked about that sps and that’s pretty much gone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you change water?

I wasn't changing water due to low nutrients and my hammer started to look a bit glum. A 50% water change and it quickly went back to normal.

I change it weekly so not sure if that’s too much

Upvote 0

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change it weekly so not sure if that’s too much

A quick, cheap, and easy method of troubleshooting is to perform a large (50%) water change.

How do you make your water? Do you use RO/DI? Have you got a second method of checking your salinity? I have a Hanna probe and refractometer and check them against each other once a month.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Arjuna32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick, cheap, and easy method of troubleshooting is to perform a large (50%) water change.

How do you make your water? Do you use RO/DI? Have you got a second method of checking your salinity? I have a Hanna probe and refractometer and check them against each other once a month.
Yeah I just did a water change and I use RODI. I don’t really have a second method of checking. I just check to see if the tank is at 1.025 and if it isn’t then I calibrate since I never have it at anything different

Upvote 0

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think anyone has asked yet, are there any other LPS in your system that arent doing to well?

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back