Hammer Coral Bleaching

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an orange hammer around 3 weeks ago (along with another hammer) and it has suddenly started bleaching. I have a couple of other hammers in my tank that are thriving, including one I bought with the hammer. My parameters are good and I assume the lighting and flow are good because the hammers around it are very happy. It did great for about 1-2 weeks then suddenly rapidly declined. I dipped it well when I got it and it shouldn't have any pests on it. I was thinking I would do a water change tomorrow just in case that is the problem. Any ideas on what the problem is and what I can do?
IMG_1917.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching? Euphyllia don't bleach. Is that a dead head or just a blur on the picture? Is it a brown jelly substance on the dead head?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought an orange hammer around 3 weeks ago (along with another hammer) and it has suddenly started bleaching. I have a couple of other hammers in my tank that are thriving, including one I bought with the hammer. My parameters are good and I assume the lighting and flow are good because the hammers around it are very happy. It did great for about 1-2 weeks then suddenly rapidly declined. I dipped it well when I got it and it shouldn't have any pests on it. I was thinking I would do a water change tomorrow just in case that is the problem. Any ideas on what the problem is and what I can do?
IMG_1917.jpeg
Some factors are low calcium (assure no lower than 380), low salinity, insufficient water flow, High phosphates and even flatworms - A few things to check

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some factors are low calcium (assure no lower than 380), low salinity, insufficient water flow, High phosphates and even flatworms - A few things to check
Good to know. It gets good flow, and my calcium and salinity are good. There shouldn't be any flatworms but I may be wrong. Hopefully a water change will help and it may just take time for it to settle in. I mostly just want to stop the bleaching.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good to know. It gets good flow, and my calcium and salinity are good. There shouldn't be any flatworms but I may be wrong. Hopefully a water change will help and it may just take time for it to settle in. I mostly just want to stop the bleaching.
How are you testing and what are your numbers?
Too much flow will stress them and even cause polyps to tear off- keep flow moderate

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Skelton will bleach, eventually leading to the heads, killing them.
Not bleaching, that's tissue recession/RTN, bleaching would be where the entire coral simultaneously turns white while the tissue is still alive. what exactly is "good" parameters? Any major swings lately? Any changes in flow?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The Skelton will bleach, eventually leading to the heads, killing them.
Sort of. The calcium and protective slime diminishes leaving the skeleton bald in a term of speaking giving it that white appearance.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you testing and what are your numbers?
Too much flow will stress them and even cause polyps to tear off- keep flow moderate
I am testing using Hanna Testers. I don't have my numbers with me currently but I know my calcium and magnesium are a bit high.
I will check the flow. I don't think it is too high however because the coral beside it is doing great and is getting the same flow.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sort of. The calcium and protective slime diminishes leaving the skeleton bald in a term of speaking giving it that white appearance.
Not bleaching, that's tissue recession/RTN, bleaching would be where the entire coral simultaneously turns white while the tissue is still alive. what exactly is "good" parameters? Any major swings lately? Any changes in flow?
Ah okay. I did not know that. Good to know thank you both.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been messing with the flow slightly but not at all to affect that coral. I will do a water change tomorrow and test after. I will get back to you then on my parameters. I do know that my ALK, MAG, and CAL are a bit high and my nitrates and phosphates are a bit low. All are still in the range of the recommended on the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt however.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been messing with the flow slightly but not at all to affect that coral. I will do a water change tomorrow and test after. I will get back to you then on my parameters. I do know that my ALK, MAG, and CAL are a bit high and my nitrates and phosphates are a bit low. All are still in the range of the recommended on the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt however.
Have any exact numbers?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back