Hammer coral burned Me

Nick Locke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys little background. About 3-6 months ago I was working in my tank, and I was going to pick up a coral and accidentally brushed by my green hammer. It hit one of my fingers and then it seemed to burn it over the next couple days, was very itchy and then I developed hives. I waited for the skin to heal but it never fully healed, the skin seemed to look shiny and it was only a thin layer. Flash-forward to now, and its looking much worse, I’ve scheduled a skin appointment for the future but its getting worse each day so im curious as to the general consensus on 1) what I should do at the moment (as in any skin ointments that could help), 2) and how this happened? Didnt think hammers had much sting at all, was it just an allergic reaction to the slime instead?

Also for some more information, I have hundreds of different types of corals including many torches, frogspawn, and other hammers. I actually had another reaction last week to a different gold hammer, but that one doesn’t look as bad of a reaction. For that sting, the tips of the hammer literally came off and attached to my skin, I had to wipe it away and then it started burning. So I’ve had two major stings/burns ever, both from hammers, never had anything else and I’ve been playing with corals for 10+ years and have felt plenty of sponge spicules and bristle worms, but nothing like what I’ve got from these hammers and especially the duration of time its taken to heal. I have pictures but they are unsightly so I will post them if needed. Just wanted to see if I could get any information from people who know more about what could be happening. Thanks all.

Also, I know I should absolutely be wearing gloves, just always had a deep tank and they would always fill up with water and annoy me, as of yesterday I found ones that finally work so hopefully no more problems in the future.

OP
OP
N

Nick Locke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually they can only do damage like that through an open wound. Its possible you could be allergic to their toxins
Yes and my hands had no open wounds when these two burns occurred, i agree with you on the allergy, im feeling like an allergic reaction might be the best answer, although i dont really understand how it could last 5 months and get worse.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys little background. About 3-6 months ago I was working in my tank, and I was going to pick up a coral and accidentally brushed by my green hammer. It hit one of my fingers and then it seemed to burn it over the next couple days, was very itchy and then I developed hives. I waited for the skin to heal but it never fully healed, the skin seemed to look shiny and it was only a thin layer. Flash-forward to now, and its looking much worse, I’ve scheduled a skin appointment for the future but its getting worse each day so im curious as to the general consensus on 1) what I should do at the moment (as in any skin ointments that could help), 2) and how this happened? Didnt think hammers had much sting at all, was it just an allergic reaction to the slime instead?

Also for some more information, I have hundreds of different types of corals including many torches, frogspawn, and other hammers. I actually had another reaction last week to a different gold hammer, but that one doesn’t look as bad of a reaction. For that sting, the tips of the hammer literally came off and attached to my skin, I had to wipe it away and then it started burning. So I’ve had two major stings/burns ever, both from hammers, never had anything else and I’ve been playing with corals for 10+ years and have felt plenty of sponge spicules and bristle worms, but nothing like what I’ve got from these hammers and especially the duration of time its taken to heal. I have pictures but they are unsightly so I will post them if needed. Just wanted to see if I could get any information from people who know more about what could be happening. Thanks all.

Also, I know I should absolutely be wearing gloves, just always had a deep tank and they would always fill up with water and annoy me, as of yesterday I found ones that finally work so hopefully no more problems in the future.
While most euphyllia corals can sting mainly torch, there is often a reaction with intching, burning sensation then hives or swelling. As with other stings, you will not experience dizziness or laboring to breath.
Do apply ice to area, take a benedryl and even apply topical cream such as hydrocortisone.

OP
OP
N

Nick Locke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While most euphyllia corals can sting mainly torch, there is often a reaction with intching, burning sensation then hives or swelling. As with other stings, you will not experience dizziness or laboring to breath.
Do apply ice to area, take a benedryl and even apply topical cream such as hydrocortisone.
Sweet thank you for all the info I really appreciate it, this seems to describe it quite well. I actually have been using cortisone every night on it, it helped one of the stings go away, but the main one on my finger seems to only get worse after cortisone. Glad to hear it works though I’ll keep it up, thanks

OP
OP
N

Nick Locke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been doing the ice though so thank you I’ll get started on that

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like you have developed a sensitivity and/or allergy to that particular kind of coral. Definitely not a common occurrence so there's probably limited information out there...

If possible, try to get an earlier appointment with a dermatologist. If this has been going on for 6 months and has started looking worse, there could be something more serious going on.

Good luck, and please post an update after you see the doctor :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back