Hammer coral critter?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might dislodge the parasite, or cause it to hide further in the flesh.

It would need to be Ro/DI water.
Freshwater dips kill coral very, very VERY fast. Please do research before you recommend something like this. The coral is a goner if it isn't dead already, I'm sorry for your loss OP. Sadly you've been sucking out the hammer's internal organs so it's very unlikely that it will survive for much longer. I suspect the issue is bound to conditions in the tank itself, some contaminant or parameter that it didn't like. The little squiggly things are the mesentarial filaments, essentially coral blood/organs. When the coral is damaged they excrete them from the holes to fight off infection.
Again, I'm sorry for your loss OP. I hope you can learn from this experience and good luck next time! Losing animals is the worst.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Freshwater dips kill coral very, very VERY fast
Sadly, Sometimes I have had to do this in extreme cases. Yes, my hammer and goni survived. It was a dip. not a sit and wait as with a fish. Nothing more than 1 minute for fresh.

The little squiggly things are the mesentarial filaments, essentially coral blood/organs. When the coral is damaged they excrete them from the holes to fight off infection.
Did you watch the video? What would you say was the thing on the coral?
Also, what do you think chewed threw the corals skeleton?

OP
OP
J

JackPinny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dips kill coral very, very VERY fast. Please do research before you recommend something like this. The coral is a goner if it isn't dead already, I'm sorry for your loss OP. Sadly you've been sucking out the hammer's internal organs so it's very unlikely that it will survive for much longer. I suspect the issue is bound to conditions in the tank itself, some contaminant or parameter that it didn't like. The little squiggly things are the mesentarial filaments, essentially coral blood/organs. When the coral is damaged they excrete them from the holes to fight off infection.
Again, I'm sorry for your loss OP. I hope you can learn from this experience and good luck next time! Losing animals is the worst.
Oh that’s annoying I will just do a dip tomorrow and test my parameters and get a more beginner friendly coral eg gsp or zoas

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, Sometimes I have had to do this in extreme cases. Yes, my hammer and goni survived. It was a dip. not a sit and wait as with a fish. Nothing more than 1 minute for fresh.

Did you watch the video? What would you say was the thing on the coral?
Also, what do you think chewed threw the corals skeleton?
Well, I guess you learn something new every day. It's good to know it's possible to do, I had always been made to believe it wasn't safe.

The video still looks like mesentarial filaments to me, but it could also be Cerith snail eggs laid o the side. They don't seem like any type of harmful animal to me.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I guess you learn something new every day. It's good to know it's possible to do, I had always been made to believe it wasn't safe.

The video still looks like mesentarial filaments to me, but it could also be Cerith snail eggs laid o the side. They don't seem like any type of harmful animal to me.
There is a hole in the side of the skeleton. That's what bothers me.
Fresh water will kill quickly. I use it as a last resort when Iodine and coral dips don't work. It kills saltwater bacteria extremely quick. You are not wrong. But, corals can protect themselves for a little bit. 1 minute is long enough to kill off damaging bacteria protozoans. Sometimes it helps with elegance coral disease from what I have read. Sometimes nothing helps them.

OP
OP
J

JackPinny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
J

JackPinny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C11E2FFF-E764-4D2A-8D54-6C237AFEE12C.jpeg
B299BFD4-04DE-46E1-B2C9-736D215C10ED.jpeg

The right head has stripped off should I remove the tissue or leave it and will the whole coral die or just the single head I think it may be due to my parameters so I’ll check them later today thanks

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One side looks to be hope. The tests I would use would be, alk, calcium, phosphates, nitrates. But, if you can get them all. You'll need them anyhow for other corals you plan to keep.
PH usually isn't an issue if the alk is between 8-9. As it decides your ph. usually.

OP
OP
J

JackPinny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One side looks to be hope. The tests I would use would be, alk, calcium, phosphates, nitrates. But, if you can get them all. You'll need them anyhow for other corals you plan to keep.
PH usually isn't an issue if the alk is between 8-9. As it decides your ph. usually.
Yep I have ordered a api master test kit and that includes all of those

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is the ph kit for saltwater? if it's for freshwater, these readings will be very off.

with alk at 7.7 I would believe ph is below 8. That's a bit low.

What salt mix do you use? And how often do you water change?

OP
OP
J

JackPinny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the ph kit for saltwater? if it's for freshwater, these readings will be very off.

with alk at 7.7 I would believe ph is below 8. That's a bit low.

What salt mix do you use? And ho w often do you water change?
It’s for freshwater and I do a 10 percent water change every week

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back