Hammer coral died over night

duke594

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hammer coral has 2 heads on it. I have had it since April. It has been growing good it went from a 1 head frag and split to 2 heads. Last night everything looked fine. When I got home from work today one of the heads was almost completely dead.:frusty: I checked all parameters and they are as follows: PH 8.3, Alk 8 DHK, Temp 80, Calcium 400 (I know a little low), Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, Salinity 1.026. I am not sure what to do or why it is dying. Everything else in the tank looks fine. I have attached a picture of the coral. Any help/ advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
IMG_20130813_175403_247.jpg

OP
OP
D

duke594

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, there isn't any brown looking jelly stiff on it. I haven't changed the flow in a couple months

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kind of looks like its just retracted to me.

Brandon

OP
OP
D

duke594

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammer Coral

I don't know if it just retracted or not. I can see the skeleton on the side of one of them. Some of the polyps looked like they were blackish grey. Also, the coral is in a good amount of flow. It will wave and the kinda sit for a few seconds then wave again in he water. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didnt see a phosphate test result?

Also, I had a duncan coral for well cover 2 years, it grew from 1 head to 15, and then about 3 weeks ago some of the heads began to die off and the "skin" below the extended polyps was peeling off. I had to pull it out cut off the dying heads and it immediately stopped, and is fine now. They say brown jelly is a bacterial infection of sorts and can come out of nowhere. I know that is not comforting at all, but keep an eye on it and if looks like the flesh is rotting or just plain disappearing, you need to consider cutting the one head before it spreads to the other one.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back