Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all my gsp has not opened in 2 days water parameters seem fine

Nitrate 25ppm
Phos0.25
Alk 8.6dhk
Calcium 440ppm
Salinity 1.026

It has been doing fine recently but 2 days ago I had to adjust the alk with Red Sea foundation as it was dropped to 7.3 dhk so I boosted it to 8.6dhk maybe the problem? Not sure please any suggestions be much a

IMG_1820.jpeg
IMG_1819.jpeg

bajohn32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could take anything away from this hobby I have learned it’s to be patient. Your parameters look decent. I personally would lower nitrates and phosphates.

These corals have minds of their own, I’ve had things close up for multiple days and they sprouted back out looking healthy. If it hasn’t done anything for a week then I would be concerned, especially with GSP.

OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could take anything away from this hobby I have learned it’s to be patient. Your parameters look decent. I personally would lower nitrates and phosphates.

These corals have minds of their own, I’ve had things close up for multiple days and they sprouted back out looking healthy. If it hasn’t done anything for a week then I would be concerned, especially with GSP.
In your opinion could it be down to my activated carbon I changed it about 2 and a half weeks ago checked it there and it’s all decomposing

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your opinion could it be down to my activated carbon I changed it about 2 and a half weeks ago checked it there and it’s all decomposing
I swear I've read on R2R or other sites before carbon decomposing or tumbling wrong can cause issues to fish and corals.

Yep just googled and found - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tumbling-carbon-tumbling-vs-not.935071/

Are you tumbling your carbon?

bajohn32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It very well could. It would probably affect everything else though as well!

OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear I've read on R2R or other sites before carbon decomposing or tumbling wrong can cause issues to fish and corals.

Yep just googled and found - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tumbling-carbon-tumbling-vs-not.935071/

Are you tumbling

I’m not quite sure what the term tumbling means I have a fluval evo with a media basket an a pouch of carbon I’ve done a 30% water change and changed the carbon should that sort the problem

OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It very well could. It would probably affect everything else though as well
I’ve done a 30% water change and swapped out the old carbon still no sign of it opening in your opinion is there anything else I should be doing to rectify this problem cheers.

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not quite sure what the term tumbling means I have a fluval evo with a media basket an a pouch of carbon I’ve done a 30% water change and changed the carbon should that sort the problem
You're not doing anything wrong then as far as carbon goes.

Give it some time GSP are hardy af.

How old is your tank? How are your other corals doing? Any changes in lighting?

OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not doing anything wrong then as far as carbon goes.

Give it some time GSP are hardy af.

How old is your tank? How are your other corals doing? Any changes in lighting?

I’ve also got some Kenya tree seems to be ok limping a small bit but has since I’ve got it and the tank I set up about 2 months no changes to the lights either

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back