Hammer coral dropping baby corals?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tjbrownie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tjbrownie

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 27, 2022
Messages
164
Reaction score
59
Location
Riverton
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into my tank today and noticed this hammer coral like splitting a baby out. I’ve never seen this before. Am I right about what’s happening. Here’s a picture. I have nothing aggressive or anything that could have injured it so I’m stumped.
IMG_3576.jpeg
IMG_3574.jpeg
 
I’m no expert but It looks like the head is torn and a piece is flapping around held on my one tentacle.
See I thought that too but if you look close there’s bone and a tissue line. I don’t have anything in my tank that could damage it that bad.
 
I was looking into my tank today and noticed this hammer coral like splitting a baby out. I’ve never seen this before. Am I right about what’s happening. Here’s a picture. I have nothing aggressive or anything that could have injured it so I’m stumped.
IMG_3576.jpeg
IMG_3574.jpeg
This is tissue bailout and due to stress form things like too much light, too much flow, high phosphates and low calcium
 
^^^yes. This is not how they propagate. This is a stress reaction and sign it is not doing good. It literally wants to leave its skeleton or can’t hold on anymore
 
^^^yes. This is not how they propagate. This is a stress reaction and sign it is not doing good. It literally wants to leave its skeleton or can’t hold on anymore
Ah crud. Any suggestions on what to do?
 
This is tissue bailout and due to stress form things like too much light, too much flow, high phosphates and low calcium

These are main reasons. Additional reasons could be stinging from other coral, fish/invert nipping at it, or starvation from not receiving enough nutrients
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new