Hammer coral is dying?!

Greenebean04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ADC182E3-3FDC-4CA6-9059-47AEB521EC53.jpeg

My hammer coral is dying it looks like and I am very concerned about my yellow clown goby picking at it, is this normal? When I first got my hammer it opened up beautifully and now I don’t know what is going on...

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph: 8.3
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0.15
Nitrate: 5.0
Salinity: 1.024

Wow wow wow, retest that ammonia. What kit are you using? How old is this tank?

seriously, you might have a real emergency here, get back to us and we can advise.

OP
OP
Greenebean04

Greenebean04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow wow wow, retest that ammonia. What kit are you using? How old is this tank?

seriously, you might have a real emergency here, get back to us and we can advise.
I am new at the hobby so I just use the saltwater master test kit, the tank is 5 months old, I rested the ammonia and it is right between 0 and 0.25, closer to 0 but I am not 100% positive

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new at the hobby so I just use the saltwater master test kit, the tank is 5 months old, I rested the ammonia and it is right between 0 and 0.25, closer to 0 but I am not 100% positive

It should not be showing ammonia. Has it ever tested 0? Did you do a water change recently? Add a bunch of life or feed a lot? Your nitrites are zero, so either you have a new spike or your test kits off.

If you have an ammonia spike you have a bigger problem. Need to sort that. If you don’t, you might hack that dead head off to stop it from spreading. Take it out, use a chisel and, minding the other heads and flesh, break that piece off and discard it tonight. Maybe suck the dead off it before you try to lift it out. Want to limit the spread of any infection.

As far as the goby goes, he almost certainly had nothing to do with it and is messing with the decaying coral. I mean, it’a be a first in my 20 years if it did.....

OP
OP
Greenebean04

Greenebean04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should not be showing ammonia. Has it ever tested 0? Did you do a water change recently? Add a bunch of life or feed a lot? Your nitrites are zero, so either you have a new spike or your test kits off.

If you have an ammonia spike you have a bigger problem. Need to sort that. If you don’t, you might hack that dead head off to stop it from spreading. Take it out, use a chisel and, minding the other heads and flesh, break that piece off and discard it tonight. Maybe suck the dead off it before you try to lift it out. Want to limit the spread of any infection.

As far as the goby goes, he almost certainly had nothing to do with it and is messing with the decaying coral. I mean, it’a be a first in my 20 years if it did.....
Usually my ammonia is always 0 this this is a first for me, and I did a water change about 5 days ago. I have cut back in feeding quite a bit. I don’t have any way to cute the dead piece off right now, should I just take it to my local coral store? And thank you so much for all of your help :)

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually my ammonia is always 0 this this is a first for me, and I did a water change about 5 days ago. I have cut back in feeding quite a bit. I don’t have any way to cute the dead piece off right now, should I just take it to my local coral store? And thank you so much for all of your help :)

Your welcome. If you can’t cut it off tonight, like with a screw driver and a hammer, it’ll prob be too late if it is infected to go to lfs. Just suction the dead out.

Ammonia spike is a big big concern then. Do you have make up water ready to go? If you do, test it for ammonia. If it’s zero, go ahead and do a water change tonight, and monitor that ammonia level. If it doesn’t drop or if it goes up we’ve got more to do.

Goomba_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely think the goby is part of the issue. It's caught on video. Do a search of Clown Gobies reef safe. It's been noted mostly with SPS but there are people noting LPS as well. Just saying...

OP
OP
Greenebean04

Greenebean04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your welcome. If you can’t cut it off tonight, like with a screw driver and a hammer, it’ll prob be too late if it is infected to go to lfs. Just suction the dead out.

Ammonia spike is a big big concern then. Do you have make up water ready to go? If you do, test it for ammonia. If it’s zero, go ahead and do a water change tonight, and monitor that ammonia level. If it doesn’t drop or if it goes up we’ve got more to do.
I suctioned all of the dead out of it, all that is left it the skeleton on the one branch and I will cut it off tomorrow, and I will do a water change, once again thank you so much!!! I will keep you posted

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely think the goby is part of the issue. It's caught on video. Do a search of Clown Gobies reef safe. It's been noted mostly with SPS but there are people noting LPS as well. Just saying...

hmm, I’d like to see the video. Was the polyp already torn up in it? The vid is blank on my end. That said, there is a bigger issue here anyway.

6CDC38D8-4671-43A4-BB35-F06879C861DC.png

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suctioned all of the dead out of it, all that is left it the skeleton on the one branch and I will cut it off tomorrow, and I will do a water change, once again thank you so much!!! I will keep you posted
Listen to me, check the new water for ammonia first, that might be the source. Otherwise, good job.

OP
OP
Greenebean04

Greenebean04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the water cloudy or is it just me? You shouldn’t have any ammonia like stated above
The water looked very cloudy in the picture and video because I
hmm, I’d like to see the video. Was the polyp already torn up in it? The vid is blank on my end. That said, there is a bigger issue here anyway.

the water does look cloudy, I didn’t think about that...

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    10.4 MB

Goomba_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ah gotcha. The video showed it biting 3 different spots on the hammer. I agree the most concerning is the ammonia though.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back