Hammer coral mouth?

TheXpander

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 19, 2020
Messages
142
Reaction score
164
Location
Scotland
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I had a flood with my canister filter last night during a water change so I’ve had to drop the level of the tank and the flow has changed as the filter is off. Came home and saw my hammer has moved a bit, looks like a mouth is exposed? Haven’t seen this before, is it normal? Thanks all

96E662FD-8868-4E14-A1D5-551D1A653569.jpeg
 
Hi,

I had a flood with my canister filter last night during a water change so I’ve had to drop the level of the tank and the flow has changed as the filter is off. Came home and saw my hammer has moved a bit, looks like a mouth is exposed? Haven’t seen this before, is it normal? Thanks all

96E662FD-8868-4E14-A1D5-551D1A653569.jpeg
I think your hammer bailed out completely... that is the skeleton base left over.

They usually wither away first before they bail out like that... that is crazy
 
I mean... there is nothing left to recover there, it's just 'bone' left, so I'm afraid that individual polyp is gone. =/
 
Wow. Ok thanks. I’m really new to corals so hadn’t heard of this before. Mad it still looks ok though!
 
To update, it detached completely and I got rid of it, better than risking decay etc I think. On the plus side there were 2 heads and the other one is looking good.
A canister flood and losing half my hammer in 24 hours
Thanks everyone
 
Picture added(camera is terrible, apologies)
 

Attachments

  • 326368E3-0D0A-4FDD-BDC9-0C5A8397D35A.jpeg
    326368E3-0D0A-4FDD-BDC9-0C5A8397D35A.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 69

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new