Hammer coral unhappy and high phosphates.

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a 27gallon AIO tank. My inhabitants are a pair of clownfish and a 6 line wrasse. A frag of GSP and a wall hammer coral. For the past 1-2 weeks my wall hammer coral has been quite unhappy and has closed/shrinked up. Maybe tissue recession.
1627043597098.png

At first I didnt know the cause of it so I expected I just had high nitrates/phosphates. The coral started to get unhappy during a diatom bloom. Now the diatoms start to settle down and Im facing some green algae.

After realising the diatom bloom, I suspected high nitrates and phosphates causing this.

After running water tests today I found that my phosphates were high.
These are my parameters (I also just did a 20% water change)

Salinity :1.025
Ammonia : 0
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : 0
Alkalinity : 8.0
Phosphate : 0.5-1.0

and these are my filtration system :

A filter floss
Seachems carbon matrix
Seachems Purigen
Seachems Phosguard
Bubble magus QQ protein skimmer
Some bio media balls

I just bought the phosphate tester so I wasnt confident about the colour and tests but it was a range between 0.5-1.0ppm which is very high.
Im not sure if this helps but this is the colour.
1627043546194.png
1627043556989.png

After getting those results I just felt that my numbers were kind of odd. 0 Nitrates but sky rocket phosphates.
Any Idea how I can get the phosphates to go down? And does it mean that this high phosphate be the cause of my sad wall hammer coral?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your issues with the hammer. Since you are battling diatoms and GHA and looking at the rockwork begs the question how long has the tank been cycled?

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your issues with the hammer. Since you are battling diatoms and GHA and looking at the rockwork begs the question how long has the tank been cycled?
This tank cycled for 1 months++. I did a fishless cycle with a dead shrimp and microbacter7. I monitored all the ammonia and nitrite in the process. My first fish were the clown pair. The tank was set up on the 2nd of may and I added fish at 16th June.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell us about your lighting, tank depth, coral placement, and source water and top-off methodology.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell us about your lighting, tank depth, coral placement, and source water and top-off methodology.
I use an aqua knight spectra. My tank is around 35cm deep and the coral is placed on/near the sand bed.

I use RODI water and top off manually every 2-3 days...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back