Hammer coral wars?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals of the same type should be fine in close proximity with each other right? For instance, I have several hammer corals close to each other with occasional touching. I think the large one is stinging or bullying the smaller one off the rock space. Do corals of the same type fight with each other over reef space? Will larger ones kill off smaller ones if given the opportunity? Is this just a survival instinct in them and it makes no difference if they are the same species of coral?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had frogspawn sting other frog spawn and more recently I hade a aggressive Goni with a tentacle reached out and stuck to another Goni and after separating them the other less aggressive one shriveled up and died a week later never opening up from the contact . I’m not sure how these pictures of torches ,goni’s , hammers etc . Flowing together like a sea of wind blown wheat is possible . But I’ve always had to give each one no matter of same species or not , plenty of distance . Kudos to the people with success of keeping them together!!!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had numerous hammers and frogspawn together for years. However, just recently I added a new green frogspawn and it melted overnight from one of two hammers nearby. First time with an issue like that.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. I suspect this is happening to mine also. I have a big green indo torch that seems to be pestering the nearby rasta torch now too.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's Ausie but even then lots of people mix torches next to each other
Ya. I guess it just depends on what the coral senses as a threat. Better to give more space and let them fill the gap after they are well established.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. I guess it just depends on what the coral senses as a threat. Better to give more space and let them fill the gap after they are well established.
What are your thoughts on SPS. I've added about 20 frags over the past 3 months because I felt the tank was finally ready. I have them close together in multiple spots. I thought I would lose some due to being new to SPS but only one frag died in shipping. Everything else is growing with solid color. I know the branches will entertwine in multiple places some day. SPS are mainly peaceful though right even with other types of SPS.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is more LPS and just a few easy SPS. Haven't seen aggression with those.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back