Hammer coral

Emarley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

Newish to reef keeping and especially keeping lps corals. Currently got a Duncan and candy cane that are both growing really well. Went to the lfs today and picked up this hammer coral for £16, but don’t know if it’s looking happy or is in the correct placement in my tank. It also has a split down both sides ( highlighted in picture) is this ok/normal?

Thanks in advance

Dom

9CEF27B9-3797-4860-8B26-E822E273D638.jpeg

D9792460-BB10-4838-A1C4-AD65B56F9E9B.jpeg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What flow/lighting do you have it in ?

OP
OP
Emarley

Emarley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity - what is standard lighting? Are the tips of the tenetacles round on some of them like it shows in the photo?

Worded it wrong, should have said stock lighting and it’s 14000k. All the tips of the tentacles appear to be round, the photo was taken with the coral in my tank.

Grootzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently middle

That's a good place to have them. They tend to do best in the middle or bottom portions of the tank with enough (indirect) flow to gently move it's tentacles in my experience. It doesn't need a crazy amount of lighting to thrive. I'd say give it two or three days to adjust to the tank. If it still seems like something is wrong then try a new placement.

OP
OP
Emarley

Emarley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good place to have them. They tend to do best in the middle or bottom portions of the tank with enough (indirect) flow to gently move it's tentacles in my experience. It doesn't need a crazy amount of lighting to thrive. I'd say give it two or three days to adjust to the tank. If it still seems like something is wrong then try a new placement.

Thank you, this is a photo of the side that is facing the flow, it’s a different colour, have I got too much flow on the coral?

2B49B6F9-7BED-4476-A840-E114C9EE7398.jpeg

Grootzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, this is a photo of the side that is facing the flow, it’s a different colour, have I got too much flow on the coral?

2B49B6F9-7BED-4476-A840-E114C9EE7398.jpeg

As long as it isn't getting directly blasted by the pump it should be alright. The less intense the flow on the hammer the more extended the tentacles. HOWEVER you do not want them in a totally low flow area. There should be movement going on.

Here is my guy right now (ignore the cyano. I'm workin on it ..). There is enough flow to make it sway but not so much to where it stays super bunched up and tight. There is a happy medium there for you to decide on.
IMG_6324.JPG

You may have to experiment a little with the placement but let the coral settle first and get used to the water quality and light before moving it again and stressing it out.

Edit: obviously if something is really wrong and there is clear signs of tissue receeding/dying off then move it sooner but if not, let it be.

OP
OP
Emarley

Emarley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it isn't getting directly blasted by the pump it should be alright. The less intense the flow on the hammer the more extended the tentacles. HOWEVER you do not want them in a totally low flow area. There should be movement going on.

Here is my guy right now (ignore the cyano. I'm workin on it ..). There is enough flow to make it sway but not so much to where it stays super bunched up and tight. There is a happy medium there for you to decide on.
IMG_6324.JPG

You may have to experiment a little with the placement but let the coral settle first and get used to the water quality and light before moving it again and stressing it out.

Edit: obviously if something is really wrong and there is clear signs of tissue receeding/dying off then move it sooner but if not, let it be.

Thank you for your help and advice.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back