Hammer dying? Any adice to help this guy?

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so my tank is pictured below. All my coral are doing pretty good, but this guy hasn't really opened up the last few days. Any advice to get him healthy, or is he pretty much dead? Should I pull him out or be worried any toxins the hammer can release? Thanks for the help.
20190722_165958.jpg
20190722_170059.jpg
20190722_170052.jpg

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is he new? He's centered under the light. maybe move him away from the center a bit. Give him some time to relax.

Hes been around about a month, the last water change he started hiding. I actually moved him lower, and now moved him for the last time between the rocks for less flow. Hopefully he makes it! Thank you

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it some time. Harry the Hammer is not dead at all.

Is he near anything that might be stinging him?

He was near my frogspawn before I moved him away, but it didn't help. They were doing well for about a month next to each other. Now I put him between the rocks on the right for even less flow. Hope this helps, thanks!

Max!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes been around about a month, the last water change he started hiding. I actually moved him lower, and now moved him for the last time between the rocks for less flow. Hopefully he makes it! Thank you
Was your salinity exactly the same between the new water and old? I recently found myself adding differing salinity water to my tank and my zoas hated me for it! May be same issue?

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was your salinity exactly the same between the new water and old? I recently found myself adding differing salinity water to my tank and my zoas hated me for it! May be same issue?

My salinity of new water is usually +/- 0.001. I haven't had too big of an issue. Hopefully he comes back with me moving him to lower flow. Hopefully =X

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well bad news guys. One side of the hammer started to get the brown jelly this morning. After doing emergency research I decided to cut it in half and throw out the brown jelly portion. Then I dipped in Coral RX. Hopefully I made the right decision. I put the remaining frag back into the tank in the corner with low light low flow.

Guess its a lesson learned on the wall hammers. Only branching ones for me from now on.

Thoughts anyone?

RalphTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can I jump in? my hammer has lifted off his coral stand. I put him back twice but he's getting knocked off or water flow is pushing him. No changes to the parameters. After a year do they begin to wander and can he be glued back into the coral?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back