Hammer Euphillya - will it recover?

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

Few weeks ago I received 2 heads of a hammer from a reefer in my area. First it opened and looked good for a couple days and then slowly began to look bad.
Extension was very poor and it just looked not good. I looked at the coral and saw some tiny eggs first and thought this might be snail eggs or some stuff..
Then the coral looked like its a goner.. so I dipped it in RODI water and thought maybe it helps.. Well, I saw something falling off and didnt know what that is.

Then I saw a post here about euphillya eating flat worms and was sure my euphillya has this pest!

So I again grabbed that euphillys and dipped it. ALso I gave the coral a good brush with a teethbrush and took off all the flatworms and eggs.

It is still not open but it starts to look a bit better.. First I thought its a goner... but maybe theres someone who wants to confirm that it looks like its recovering?

9EEE9B4C-56C1-4C37-99E4-DF7857EAE637.jpeg BEABA00D-D9A3-4EF1-ABD4-5EDB209562D0.jpeg

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it is getting enough nutrients. My hammers love it when my tank is on the dirty side. Is your tank newer?

It also looks like the flesh is almost completely receded which may result in the heads bailing, but it is tough to tell.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

Few weeks ago I received 2 heads of a hammer from a reefer in my area. First it opened and looked good for a couple days and then slowly began to look bad.
Extension was very poor and it just looked not good. I looked at the coral and saw some tiny eggs first and thought this might be snail eggs or some stuff..
Then the coral looked like its a goner.. so I dipped it in RODI water and thought maybe it helps.. Well, I saw something falling off and didnt know what that is.

Then I saw a post here about euphillya eating flat worms and was sure my euphillya has this pest!

So I again grabbed that euphillys and dipped it. ALso I gave the coral a good brush with a teethbrush and took off all the flatworms and eggs.

It is still not open but it starts to look a bit better.. First I thought its a goner... but maybe theres someone who wants to confirm that it looks like its recovering?

9EEE9B4C-56C1-4C37-99E4-DF7857EAE637.jpeg BEABA00D-D9A3-4EF1-ABD4-5EDB209562D0.jpeg
I don’t believe it’s a goner if there isn’t a lot of polyp bailout there might be a chance . What are your parameters?

OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys its only this one.. look at my other, its the same euphillya just not diped and brushed…

no3 15
po4 0.07
ca 435
kh 8.3
mg not tested
salinity 1.024

Attachments

• 72BA1A83-A930-4B4B-9461-FEE172D60121.jpeg
    72BA1A83-A930-4B4B-9461-FEE172D60121.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 22

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it some time dipping and scraping stressed it out if your parameters are stable it will bounce back try not to move it around put in low flow lowish light and it should be okay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back