Hammer looks pale

Aaron1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me figure out why my hammer coral looks like this? its been like this for 6+ months. I've tried moving it around in different lighting but still stays the same. Polyps are extended every day, and even the little baby polyps on the base extend to my surprise. Tank has been set up for a year and 4 months, and I send monthly triton ICP tests out and haven't gotten anything alarming. All other corals are happy, including my acros, so im curious to find out how I can get this guy to return to its normal appearance. Pictures of before and after are attached. Tank parameters are below,

Alk: 10.1
Cal: 465
Mag: 1465
Ammonia:0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 3ppm
Phosphates: 0.03
Salinity: 35ppt
Temp: 78
PH: 8.1-8.2

Hammer1.jpg Hammer2.jpg

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be due to bleaching from light or could be from lack of nutrients nitrate is pretty low for LPS anywhere from like 10 to 15 can help aid in color. I am no expert but have seen a significant increase in colors and polyp extension from LPS with nitrates between 10 to 20 and the lighting being dialed in.
@Lost in the Sauce any suggestions

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever my hammers start going pale I try placing them in higher lighting and leaving them alone. They won’t get their color back overnight or in a week. Place it and leave it, works best for me

OP
OP
A

Aaron1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever my hammers start going pale I try placing them in higher lighting and leaving them alone. They won’t get their color back overnight or in a week. Place it and leave it, works best for me
Ive had them in about 150 par for the last 3 months with now results, is that to much for them?

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree now knowing 150 try moving up and give it some time? Do you have aminos by chance a spot treatment could help when lights are ramping up mix with tank water and use a baster to feed around the hammer

OP
OP
A

Aaron1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree now knowing 150 try moving up and give it some time? Do you have aminos by chance a spot treatment could help when lights are ramping up mix with tank water and use a baster to feed around the hammer
I dose aqua forest aminos every other night when the lights are off, if you have any suggestions for a better amino acid supplement, im all ears!

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose aqua forest aminos every other night when the lights are off, if you have any suggestions for a better amino acid supplement, im all ears!
Try doing a little bit of a target dose the the area the hammer is instead of a broadcast. It will eventually broadcast throughout due to flow but targeting that area specifically could help do it as lights are ramping and coral is starting to open up and extend.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back