Hammer placed Saturday night - Still not Open

1stMarineTankDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I placed a Hammer in my tank Saturday night, and it is still not opening as of Monday morning. Is this normal, or do i possibly have a flow issue? I've place it mid level in the tank and have angled the Hygger powerhead away and directly toward some SFP at the top of the tank. They opened next morning. Anything else I should check?

Hammer coral 1.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its very receded. Your tank looks very new, how old is it? Can you share your water parameters? What type of lighting? Are you using rodi water?

Hammer is a bit of a picky coral, it can struggle in a brand new tank.

OP
OP

1stMarineTankDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its very receded. Your tank looks very new, how old is it? Can you share your water parameters? What type of lighting? Are you using rodi water?

Hammer is a bit of a picky coral, it can struggle in a brand new tank.
The Tank is 60 days old. I did run a solid cycle and recently dosed both copepods and phyto to feed them. The states when the Coral were introduced were 8.2 PH, Alkalinity 8.4 and Nitrate between 5 and 10. also, light is AI Prim 16HD. I've got some Hanna checkers coming to solve some of the range gaps. I'm about to do a water change proactively to solve anything else that could be a miss. My PH test gives me poor answers So i barrowed my son's to close that gap. I will need to purchase something today. I did buy the Hanna PH as it didn't have solid reviews. Live stock was added to the tank 30 days ago with coral going in Saturday night. Oddly the SPS in the tank are open and look well. I turned off one of the wave makers this morning to reduce flow in the tank. Another odd factor is the easiest coral in the tank, a zoanthid, which was shy to open in my son's tank is also closed. He is located in the front center bottom in the best flow pattern for him. 6 frags went in, and the two easy have yet to begin to thrive. I will post new stats after the water change and test. An initial test of Alkalinity indicates it has dropped a full point. I added a small 10ml dose of Kalkwasser. Then decided to do the water change first before addressing other items.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back