OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red line crosses good tissue. Do I just cut through the tissue and the skeleton?

OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my attempt to save part of the hammer coral was a complete disaster. I removed it from the tank and prepared to frag off two heads. Inspecting it, I noticed that the flesh/tissue on a third head had begun to recede as well. So, I figured I would try to frag off the single head that was somewhat isolated from the rest of the colony.

I used a dremel with a diamond wheel and everything was going smoothly. However, right befog the cut was complete, the head skeleton cracked and split the head in two pieces. I attempted to glue the two pieces to a new frag plug to see if somehow it would survive. I dipped it and put it back in my tank. Unfortunately, within a few hours, all the tissue was falling off and it was a goner.

So, although I know the coral was probably going to die in the next few days/weeks anyway, I definitely hurried it along. So, I have officially lost my 4 head hammer

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my attempt to save part of the hammer coral was a complete disaster. I removed it from the tank and prepared to frag off two heads. Inspecting it, I noticed that the flesh/tissue on a third head had begun to recede as well. So, I figured I would try to frag off the single head that was somewhat isolated from the rest of the colony.

I used a dremel with a diamond wheel and everything was going smoothly. However, right befog the cut was complete, the head skeleton cracked and split the head in two pieces. I attempted to glue the two pieces to a new frag plug to see if somehow it would survive. I dipped it and put it back in my tank. Unfortunately, within a few hours, all the tissue was falling off and it was a goner.

So, although I know the coral was probably going to die in the next few days/weeks anyway, I definitely hurried it along. So, I have officially lost my 4 head hammer
You have to go the slowest speed possible and cool both the wheel and piece every few seconds to keep it from fragmenting. I also use the cutting wheel designed for “metal” because it isn’t quite as rigid as a diamond blade. It doesn’t bite into the corals as much and is a much smoother cut. The cut also has to be as flat as possible. If you cut at an angle, the structure is compromised.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry for the loss. Well, on the bright side, you have more room for other corals now ;)

Millwright

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss!
Look at it this way. You gained experience in diagnosing a problem. You now have firsthand experience fragging a LPS coral. Whether or not it was successful, it was a learning experience. The loss sucks but could you imagine if your first time fragging was with a 10 or 15 head hammer and Splitting multiple heads.

OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a bummer. I know the coral was going to die anyway, it just sucks. But, I am pleased that the issue does not appear to be widespread in my tank and does not seem to be caused by a water chemistry issue or something else. So, there is some silver lining.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back