Hammer with one long polyp

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past few days one of my branching hammer corals has extended one or two polyps as if reaching. This coral has been in my tank for seven months and has never demonstrated this behavior before. The picture isn't great but you can see the tip of the extended polyp "glowing" above the coral. What am I looking at? Thanks for any info/enlightenment.

Hammer time[47625]_edited.jpg

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol its just a sweeper tentacle. No big deal, totally normal. It’s just there to sting corals around it so the hammer has plenty of space to grow larger, as long as there’s nothing that the sweeper can touch (except other hammers) you’re good

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol its just a sweeper tentacle. No big deal, totally normal. It’s just there to sting corals around it so the hammer has plenty of space to grow larger, as long as there’s nothing that the sweeper can touch (except other hammers) you’re good
+1
Those zoas might be in danger.

OP
OP
CavalierReef

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. It's exactly as I expected but am surprised that it hasn't happened earlier. There is a hairy mushroom that may be growing into it's territory above it. The zoas are father away than the picture portrays but I will certainly keep an eye on them. Thanks for the heads-up.

Back