Hammerhead pump pipe sizing question.

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I kinda scored today, I got a hammerhead pump for 50$. Pretty excited since my tank is plumbed for a closed loop. But there is also and issue with this. I have 2 1.5in returns for the closed loop, and 4 3/4in flow pipes.

I was planning on running my vectra m2 on of the the flows returns, and a standered jabeo on the others two.

Now the issue, I’m tempted to run the the m2 on two(for the random flow) and the hammerhead on the other two. But I feel like it’s a waste using a hammerhead with two 3/4 flow returns. I could then run eductors. Is this a smart move? Or is it still too much pump.

I guess I could also sell the m2 and buy a random flow generator.

So anyone have experience with the hammerhead and a closed loop? The tanks already filled. So upping the bulkhead size is possible, but would also be a pain(no livestock yet).

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a Snapper/Dart hybrid closed loop on my 125. returns were thru 2ea 1" sea swirls

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being candid, it will eventually leak, if it does not already. If you use it, plumb in unions and ball valves so that you can take it offline to put new seals in it, bearings, etc. They are powerful and do their job as advertised, I just hate the longevity of them - prefer and AmpMaster, but you don't see those for $50 since they are workhorses. As soon as you see salt creep or weeping, order seals, get a few sets or just order some now to have them on hand.

A pump the size of a HH can run all four of those 3/4 returns... just split them smartly and try and not use too many 90s to cut back on the head pressure.

For in-general CL advice, I like to use threaded bulkheads on the in-tank side so that if I need to do work, I can thread in caps to plug them. You might consider looking into an Oceans Motion 4 way for this. Wonderful piece of equipment for a CL.

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a baldor hammer hear or gold whatever. I will not be running it in the future on my 2 1 1/2" seaswirl CL set up. It is loud and industrial. Really imo the only use it has is a sump basement or under the house pump use now days.
I would try and keep the plumbing big and large diameter up as far as you can to the point of exiting. Mine had a 2" intake and 1 1/2" all the way to the to top of my display past where it T'd on the outtake. I than added unions and i think it even still went 1 1/2" to the 1 1/2" seaswirls.
Great pumps that can move a lot of water but i could not do and will not do the heat exchange and noise in my house again. I can achieve the same with more expensive wave pumps or 2 internal fluval sp6 quieter pumps. I hope that helps u.
D

OP
OP
Bugeater281

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My worry is the way I plumbed this closed loop. I may have to change it up a bit. Does anyone know how well these pumps do with pressure? Because I have 3/4 piping running to two 3/4in returns. Worried it would choke it too much and I may be better off plumping the two sets of two 3/4in returns into 1.25 in piping.
E516880E-0FFA-4032-8C97-DCDAFB4FBF46.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back