Hanna Alk Reagents / Floating Particles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The particles are nothing to be concerned with and will not impact results.
(pulled from another thread concerning the same issues)
Should you see "chunks" in your cuvette we recommend letting them settle to the bottom or rise to the top before preforming analysis.

Thats a bit of conflicting information, no?

"let them settle before performing the analysis"

vs

"the floating particulates will not impact the results/accuracy"

I was performing around 80-90 tests per week with a hanna alk checker, even brand new bottles would have wispy looking particles in them, not all, but quite a few.

I can tell you they DO indeed effect the test results, I tried multiple lot #s using a calibration solution, some tests were fairly consistent, but others wildly off, esp when the "floaties" were present in the reagent/seen in the curvette.
So them not affecting results is hog wash IMO, esp considering the contradicting responses regarding the issue.

I used a calibration solution for samples with different lot #s, same blemish free curvettes we keep in jewelers bags to prevent scratches.
Still, inconsistencies were there, not always, but common enough sway confidence.

Recently went back to primarily using Salifert with no issues or inconsistencies.

Salifert > Hanna for now.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the problem is? Yes they impact the results, but we always tell everyone NOT TO CHASE NUMBERS, yet were hung up on a few points on a hanna checker because of floaties?

Who really cares if its 7.8, or 7.4.

Only issue I ever had with them was one off reading that said it was 12. Let it settle for a minute and got the normal result I was expecting.

And if your color blind salifert and any test that wants you to determine a shade of a color is garbage. While I'm not color blind, I can never tell what exactly the shade of pink it is, or when the color shifts.

Hanna > Salifert

I'll take an actual number(even if it is off by a few points) over trying to guess when a color changes, or what shade of a certain color is.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the problem is? Yes they impact the results, but we always tell everyone NOT TO CHASE NUMBERS, yet were hung up on a few points on a hanna checker because of floaties?

Who really cares if its 7.8, or 7.4.

Only issue I ever had with them was one off reading that said it was 12. Let it settle for a minute and got the normal result I was expecting.

And if your color blind salifert and any test that wants you to determine a shade of a color is garbage. While I'm not color blind, I can never tell what exactly the shade of pink it is, or when the color shifts.

Hanna > Salifert

I'll take an actual number(even if it is off by a few points) over trying to guess when a color changes, or what shade of a certain color is.

To each their own.

For a typical hobbyist that tests 1-2x a week, sure I guess thats fine. My application is a bit different such inconsistencies are not acceptable.

However, 7.4 vs 7.8 can matter to the at home hobbyist too, esp if dialing in a reactor or dosing system.

I do like some of hanna's other products, but the issues people have been having with the alk checkers needs to be addressed and it can be confusing when recieving conflicting information from a manufacturer.

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each their own.

For a typical hobbyist that tests 1-2x a week, sure I guess thats fine. My application is a bit different such inconsistencies are not acceptable.

However, 7.4 vs 7.8 can matter to the at home hobbyist too, esp if dialing in a reactor or dosing system.

I do like some of hanna's other products, but the issues people have been having with the alk checkers needs to be addressed and it can be confusing when recieving conflicting information from a manufacturer.
Not to mention Hanna checkers aren't cheap. And a large part of why many people get them is also to have accurate and consistent readings.

JohnCisco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens to me about 2/3 through the bottle, pretty much every bottle. When I have floaties in the solution, and then check with a brand new reagent bottle, the results are almost always off between 8 and 10 ppm (.45 - .56 dKH), higher on the reagent with floaties, always. The cap is only off long enough for me to get my 1ml then recapped right away.

If I'm trying to dial in my dosing or if something is important enough that .5 dKH effects what I do, I always open a new bottle if I see floaties in the syringe.

Trying to dial in my dosing right now actually and had this happen again which led me here to see if I'm crazy or not, cause it's every bottle.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Hanna,
I can never finish a bottle of new reagent before floating particles come in to play after half the bottle is used. I've shaken before use every time per refill and not on some refills. Same results.

It's a big enough issue to through the test results off by 2 dkh at times.

When I open a brand new reagent from the same lot #, then it test fine, until the floating particles appear again.

Is this something that's going to be addressed by Hanna?

Regards, GoVols
Same here man. What is it?

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here man. What is it?

Not sure, but it can still read high "after time" with or without the particles. Bought an Alkatronic Gen III last spring and use the Hanna for a (from time to time) crosscheck.

lol
Still tossing out Hanna reagent refills with about 1/2 to 1/4 left... :D

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Hanna alkalinity checker for at least three years now. I've had reagents with floaties and without and I've never noted a difference worth mentioning. Today, I cracked open a new reagent and tested it against my "old" reagent. Results, 124ppm and 124 ppm. I've had a couple show a .5 dKh delta but I think that has only been two now. Typically it is right on the money. I do use a syringe to meter the sample water instead of trying to eyeball the meniscus at the cuvettes line (recipe for failure if you ask me). I've tested weekly (I've missed a few) for the past three plus years and the deltas have been negligible. I did contact them about the floaties a couple years ago and they stated it wouldnt effect the results but they'd send a replacement. I declined and trusted them; fast forward to now and I still have no reason not to trust them.

Last edited:

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, but it can still read high "after time" with or without the particles. Bought an Alkatronic Gen III last spring and use the Hanna for a (from time to time) crosscheck.

lol
Still tossing out Hanna reagent refills with about 1/2 to 1/4 left... :D
Today it happened with a bottle that expires 4/21 that has 4/5 filled:( I have the trident but I compare to ensure stability on both.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back