Hanna Calc Checker

esolo16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Hanna Calc Checker because I have been having trouble reading the results using a Red Sea test. I have been testing everyday the last four days with the Hanna Checker and the results are as follows:

Date Calc (ppm)
10/18/15 418
10/19/15 444
10/20/15 476
10/21/15 493

I have not dosed anything over that time. I have an IM Nuvo Fusion 20 with two AI Primes. I am currently topping off manually once or twice a day. I have a couple of SPS frags that are currently being acclimated to the lights. Alkalinity and Magnesium have been steady using the Red Sea test at 9.1 dKH and 1300 ppm respectively.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks on how to use the Hanna test? I find it very hard to believe these are accurate results and are purely the result of user error.

Thanks!

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure ALL bubbles are out of test vial, wipe outside with a CLEAN cloth and don't touch vials with you hands. Will give you incorrect reading if you don't. It is a photo meter so finger prints and bubbles will mess with your results.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a head-scratcher......calc increasing with no type of dosing happening!!!! Rather consistant increase over the four days.....puzzled

Out of curiosity., what is the Red Sea results saying as far as calc?

rogerrgr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RO/DI water for the fresh water addition to the cuvette during the test? If not, then that is a problem. And if your saltwater addition isn't exactly the .1ml every time, then your test results will be off also. I've had pretty good luck with repeatability with mine. I also turn the reagent bottle upside down each time and shake a little then let it sit and draw from the bottom with the syringe.
And as noted above, I also wipe my cuvette with a microfiber cloth to remove fingerprints each time and make sure there isn't any air bubbles.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any tips/tricks on how to use the Hanna test? I find it very hard to believe these are accurate results and are purely the result of user error.

They aren't both accurate results. I don't have any special advice about the checker, but calcium won't rise like that without a lot of dosing.

Last edited:

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never bought the Ca checker due to many reports of its inaccurate/inconsistent readings. I have however, successfully used both their alk and PO4 checker.

OP
OP
esolo16

esolo16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using RODI, but I buy it from my LFS. I just did another test with the Hanna checker using everyone's advice and I came up with 493. I then did a test with Red Sea and it came to 400. I am obviously still off somewhere. I think I am going to pick up a TDS meter tomorrow and test the RODI water to see if it is at 0.

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had excellent results with the Hanna Calcium Checker. Many people like to bash it. I think it works great. You have to do it exactly the same each time to get repeatable results. Like others have said; you must shake it about 15 times after adding the powder; let it sit for 10-20 seconds after shaking so the bubbles go away; and wipe with a microfiber. Finger prints will distort the results. Make sure you are using RODI water or Hanna water. And make sure your measurements are dead on. I can do the test twice in a row and get results within a few points of each other; which is within the standard deviation.

When I first got this kit it took me about 10 times to get it down. I couldn't figure out why I was getting inaccurate results. What helped me was finding a video online, and doing the test while watching the video. Once I did that it was easy.

Just keep practicing til you get repeatable results. It's easy after that.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how I handled the Hanna Cal checker when I was using it. First I filled the vial with correct amount of water. Then added the required reagents in proper amounts. Then I took out the Hanna Checker to hold down the instruction sheet while I translated the amount of drops it took to get to blue on my API calcium test. After a while I just sold it as garbage while informing the next person what they were getting into.

There I said it. In my eyes the API test is far more accurate.

OP
OP
esolo16

esolo16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a TDS meter today and the water I had been testing with was at 200!

After getting over the heart attack of the TDS reading, I went to another store and found their water was 9 ppm. Using the new water, the Hanna Checker is now giving me "L.Lo". Anyone have any idea what this means?

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water used for testing must be 0 TDS. Hanna actually recommends there water. It's all the hobbiest that told us rodi is ok.

More important then this test right now though is the fact that your rodi is showing 200tds.

OP
OP
esolo16

esolo16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be ordering the Hanna water for this test soon.

Trust me, the fact that I was using 200 TDS water will be addressed. I am fairly acquainted with the owner of the store I purchased it from and he will be hearing from me. I had put off buying a RODI unit since my tank is so small, but it looks like I will be doing that sooner rather than later.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be ordering the Hanna water for this test soon.

Trust me, the fact that I was using 200 TDS water will be addressed. I am fairly acquainted with the owner of the store I purchased it from and he will be hearing from me. I had put off buying a RODI unit since my tank is so small, but it looks like I will be doing that sooner rather than later.

LOL
I feel bad for him. once you get that RODI unit you will wonder how you go along without it for so long.

Back to the Calcium checker. To be honest I wasn't kidding about what I said a while back about switching to the API. I have the Red Sea Pro calcium kit and like that too. When I'm looking for an exact number I take out the red sea but for random testing here and there in IMO you can't go wrong with the ease of API. It will get you a ballpark and as long as you know its ballpark you wont go chasing numbers either. But it will def let me know if something is off and I need to investigate further.

OP
OP
esolo16

esolo16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I will pick an API test too. Hopefully, between the Hanna Checker, Red Sea and API, I will have an idea of what my calcium levels actually are.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back