Hanna calcium comparison help

dustynavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I was hoping to get help with my calcium levels. I have a Hanna calcium colorimeter and it continues to read really high. I used a Salifert and API to check because the number was concerning to me.

Hanna: 540

380: API

370: Salifert

I have watched videos on the Hanna but I must be doing something wrong. I clean it out with distilled water that only touches the same syringe. Then add 1 ml of the agent after drying it out. Then the distilled water the rest of the way up to the marker (I have also used a measured syringe). I mix 3-5 times and then zero the device. I then use the .1 ml device to add the tank water (I noted in the instruction video how to use it). Then add the packet of powder and shake for 15 seconds and then swirl the vial to get the air bubbles out and wait 15 seconds before pressing the button.

Thank you for any help. I have the calibration check for the Hanna coming soon as well as a Red Sea test kit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of anyone having an issue with the electronics/photonics on a Hanna (which is all their calibration check does). Problems arise in the reagents, cuvettes, timing, etc., none of which their colored water solution tests.

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I was hoping to get help with my calcium levels. I have a Hanna calcium colorimeter and it continues to read really high. I used a Salifert and API to check because the number was concerning to me.

Hanna: 540

380: API

370: Salifert

I have watched videos on the Hanna but I must be doing something wrong. I clean it out with distilled water that only touches the same syringe. Then add 1 ml of the agent after drying it out. Then the distilled water the rest of the way up to the marker (I have also used a measured syringe). I mix 3-5 times and then zero the device. I then use the .1 ml device to add the tank water (I noted in the instruction video how to use it). Then add the packet of powder and shake for 15 seconds and then swirl the vial to get the air bubbles out and wait 15 seconds before pressing the button.

Thank you for any help. I have the calibration check for the Hanna coming soon as well as a Red Sea test kit.
Getting the same with the hanna CA checker.
520, when I know it’s 440. Has quite a few steps and works off a small sample size which is hard to get same every time.

Same with their MG and Salinity testers.

Love the Alk, Hr nitrate and UL Phosphorus checker.

Back to Salifert and Aquaforest.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dustynavy

dustynavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of anyone having an issue with the electronics/photonics on a Hanna (which is all their calibration check does). Problems arise in the reagents, cuvettes, timing, etc., none of which their colored water solution tests.

Thank you for helping. Do you suggest I buy replacements for the reagents? I think the cuvettes are ok. I haven't used them very much and I have cleaned them out with RODI water after.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dustynavy

dustynavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the same with the hanna CA checker.
520, when I know it’s 440. Has quite a few steps and works off a small sample size which is hard to get same every time.

Same with their MG and Salinity testers.

Love the Alk, Hr nitrate and UL Phosphorus checker.

Back to Salifert and Aquaforest.
Thank you for your help. I have been thinking about doing the same. I feel like I have been getting more consistent results. I'm going to test with the Red Sea one coming in a few days. If it is close to the Salifert and API I am going to go off of those numbers. Then I am going to see if maybe new reagents can fix the Hanna reading if Randy suggests that.

Upvote 1

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for helping. Do you suggest I buy replacements for the reagents? I think the cuvettes are ok. I haven't used them very much and I have cleaned them out with RODI water after.

The Hanna calcium kit is freakishly sensitive to traces of calcium in the blank. That is not likely the issue, however, since I think it leads to false low levels.

Trying new reagents is a decent plan.

Upvote 0

nycfreshreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but my Hannah calc test always shows 25% lower than the actual calc level , all other Hanna tests seem to be really accurate but the calc for me , perhaps need new reagent

Upvote 0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the sides of the vials perfectly clean, like spotless?

I have found that if Salifert is not expired and you use it right, it is pretty trustworthy within about 10 ppm.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back