Hanna checker and Red Sea results differ

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I have the following situation. I test with Hanna checker and alk is 6.5. With Red Sea it’s 8 dKH. Hanna calcium is 570 and 420 with Red Sea. This is consistent over 2 month period. New reagents from Amazon. Expiration date is good. Is this typical and which result do I follow? Thanks

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I have the following situation. I test with Hanna checker and alk is 6.5. With Red Sea it’s 8 dKH. Hanna calcium is 570 and 420 with Red Sea. This is consistent over 2 month period. New reagents from Amazon. Expiration date is good. Is this typical and which result do I follow? Thanks
Do you have a good lfs to check with? In general I trust Hanna checker for alkalinity as it matched salifert closely.

OP
OP
maksim serebro

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have some stores near me. Not sure how good they are. May have to check with them.

OP
OP
maksim serebro

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a check both using a reference fluid?
Its good a counter check with reference fluid for new test kit

Where would I get a reliable reference fluid? Any ideas?
Nevermind, I think brs sell something
Thanks!

Last edited:

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Hanna calcium checker is prone to inaccuracy because of how much dilution is required for the sample. I would trust the Red Sea test kit over the Hanna Calcium Checker.

Alkalinity is a different story. Both these testing methods are usually pretty accurate. When you mentioned you ordered new reagent, which test kit was this for? The checker or the Red Sea kit? Personally I would pick up a Salifert alkalinity test from BRS just to have a third opinion. I don't think there's any reason to trust the Alkalinity Checker over the Red Sea test kit. Either one could be right, or neither one could be right.

OP
OP
maksim serebro

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna calcium checker is prone to inaccuracy because of how much dilution is required for the sample. I would trust the Red Sea test kit over the Hanna Calcium Checker.

Alkalinity is a different story. Both these testing methods are usually pretty accurate. When you mentioned you ordered new reagent, which test kit was this for? The checker or the Red Sea kit? Personally I would pick up a Salifert alkalinity test from BRS just to have a third opinion. I don't think there's any reason to trust the Alkalinity Checker over the Red Sea test kit. Either one could be right, or neither one could be right.
Hi, both of the test kits are new. Just ordered calibration solution from BRS. Will also test new water with ocean crystals. Will see how close the numbers are to what the manufacturer claims

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back