Hanna Checker or Salifert Test kits?

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using Salifert and have to say I believe they are pretty accurate tests. I’ve been thinking on getting Hanna Checkers what do you guys use and recommend? Do you believe Hanna tests are as accurate as the traditional color kits?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using Salifert and have to say I believe they are pretty accurate tests. I’ve been thinking on getting Hanna Checkers what do you guys use and recommend? Do you believe Hanna tests are as accurate as the traditional color kits?

oh my, you are going to be more confused after all the replies ;)

I’ll give you my 2p worth, the phosphate and the alkilinity ones seem to be generally agreed to be worth getting, the others not so much.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others said:
Hanna for Alk(dkh) and ULR Phosphorus (there are 2 versions of ULR) and make sure you get the ULR(Ultra Low Range) one. Not a regular one

I have the phosphorus one(ppb) cause I want to make sure down all the way to 0.01.

I don't think we have enough sample/time for the nitrate one. But if your nitrate is 5 or higher, you have to dilute the sample

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh my, you are going to be more confused after all the replies ;)

I’ll give you my 2p worth, the phosphate and the alkilinity ones seem to be generally agreed to be worth getting, the others not so much.
LOL I was actually only thinking about getting Alk actually so your info helps

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hanna is the only hobby test kit provider that provides information about the accuracy of their tests. No one knows about the accuracy of the other kits. Very few people on this forum actually determine the accuracy of their test kits.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm slowly switching over to the Hannah colometers. I like the ease of use of the Salifert kits, but being partially colorblind some of them are a PITA to read.
I am colorblind and have a very hard time with these test kits I’m always going to family for readings

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna checker: Alk and P
Salifert: Mg and NO3; and Alk as a back-up to Hanna, but it runs a little high
Red Sea: Ca

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna checker: Alk and P
Salifert: Mg and NO3; and Alk as a back-up to Hanna, but it runs a little high
Red Sea: Ca

I agree, with all those, the only change I have made to this list was I tried Nyos for nitrate just to try a new test, the result from it I feel is very similar to Salifert but the test itself is better quality (costs more than Salifert to be fair) with glass vials and it has the double vial setup, which makes comparing the colour slightly easier.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, with all those, the only change I have made to this list was I tried Nyos for nitrate just to try a new test, the result from it I feel is very similar to Salifert but the test itself is better quality (costs more than Salifert to be fair) with glass vials and it has the double vial setup, which makes comparing the colour slightly easier.
I gave Nyos a try a few times. I compared it to Salifert, Red Sea and ICP. The last 3 seemed to be someone agreeable as they fluctuated; whereas, Nyos seemed stuck on "5" all the time.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just using the Hanna alk (still crosscheck against Salifert) and Hanna ULR phos checkers.

If I could only use one testing product line, it would be Salifert.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave Nyos a try a few times. I compared it to Salifert, Red Sea and ICP. The last 3 seemed to be someone agreeable as they fluctuated; whereas, Nyos seemed stuck on "5" all the time.
I’ll pick up a new Salifert then to check against, thanks for that, my nitrate has been very steady for a while now, hope it’s correct.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tested both side by side, NYOS, and Salifert (nitrate kits) matches each other to a tee with higher nitrates, but like Salifet below 10ppm.

Never tried any other NYOS kits, do you have any incite on those?

Thanks!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested both side by side, NYOS, and Salifert (nitrate kits) matches each other to a tee with higher nitrates, but like Salifet below 10ppm.

Never tried any other NYOS kits, do you have any incite on those?

Thanks!

my nitrate is 12 so it could be accurate, handy to have the salifert to check against I guess.

Sorry no, I’ve only tried the Nyos nitrate, happy with my other kit, I would recommend Elos high resolution test kit for phosphate as an alternative to the Hanna, I find with the Elos though, once you go below .04 the colours are not easy to match against the sample.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just using the Hanna alk (still crosscheck against Salifert) and Hanna ULR phos checkers.

If I could only use one testing product line, it would be Salifert.
How long does the reagent last for Alk Hanna checker should I order an extra right away?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does the reagent last for Alk Hanna checker should I order an extra right away?

Good question:
Once you open a new bottle of reagent it's on a time clock before it starts testing at higher dKH readings. If you barely lift open the bottle's seal just enough to use the syringe it will stay accurate longer. This is why I do crosscheck with Salifert from time to time.

Like to buy four to five new reagents at one time, so they are from the same lot #.

Right now I've had a new bottle opened for 1.5 to 2 months and it has remained accurate per Salifert and my Alkatronic.

So, yeah I'd order some more if you only have one bottle.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will 100% never use or suggest anyone use the NYOS nitrate kit. Mine kept telling me the same(5ppm), through 2 different kits. Used a red sea pro, and it came back at 32ppm! Even did the test 4 times with the red sea to confirm, and salifert.

I was only suspicious of the reading when I kept adding neo-nitro and the number wasn't increasing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back