Hanna Checker PO4 Reagents

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the new and improved reagents for PO4 actually improved? There’s a decent chance I’ll get one for Christmas. I might try to sneak in a NO3 checker too. For NO3 I would want HR correct?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure they have improved the po4 checker but I find it very good, I use the 774 model.

Yes definitely the high range nitrate checker, not the low range.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was the PO4 checker that had issues. Maybe it was the NO3. I definitely want the PO4 checker. Thank you.

I have one other question as I think about it. I use the Salifert test for PO4. I noticed a couple weeks ago that the crystals were loosely congealed. I shook the bottle and loosened the crystals but can I still get accurate results? I’m assuming some moisture got in and caused the crystals to stick together although the bottle was closed tightly.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it might well have been. Thank you for letting me know that.
Salifert for po4 is not great, basically I find if you can see any hint of blue at all, then your po4 is over 0.1, if you want to keep your po4 lower than 0.1 which a lot of us do, then imo Salifert is not going to help as po4 lvl below 0.1 looks like zero to my eye.

As for using it, if that’s all you have you can try it, maybe compare fresh salt mix with also a sample from your tank, if the test gives two different readings then maybe it’s still good?

oh and yes probably the magnesium you might be meaning, it has been having issues I believe.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is crystal clear when I test it with Salifert. I’m definitely upgrading to Hanna for both nitrates and phosphates but I’m going for the latter for Christmas. I’d get the nitrate checker right away also but my circulation pumps need to be replaced so it’ll be a couple of months. I think you’re right about the magnesium. Do you use Hanna for Mg?

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back