Hanna Checker Showing Tank Killing Results

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got Nitrite, ammonia and Phosphate test kits from Hanna and was nearly floored by a Nitrite Reading of 19 and Ammonia of 3! Now I now my tank is young but as you will see below things don’t look too shabby :) I tested with Red Sea kit and Salifert. Both Zero.

Anyone else had issues?
178FA718-3D23-47E2-90D5-D2FAC45CF6DF.jpeg

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a testing error. Go back and read the directions and follow them implicitly.
Also point of note, fingerprints on the cuvettes will throw off the readings.
Also.. check the reagent expiration date.
Hanna are usually very accurate.
Looking at your tank, which looks great, I would think at 3ppm ammonia, you'd see adverse effects

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a testing error. Go back and read the directions and follow them implicitly.
Also point of note, fingerprints on the cuvettes will throw off the readings.
Also.. check the reagent expiration date.
Hanna are usually very accurate.
Looking at your tank, which looks great, I would think at 3ppm ammonia, you'd see adverse effects
I have been religiously cleaning the cuvettes before putting them in both the test sample and then the sample with the powder. I'll take a look at the expiration date

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked the powder dates. Exp 2023. To be clear the readings I quoted were the ones displayed on the machine. I did not do the multiplication was not sure I needed to do that? Also, each time I have done the Ammonia test it gives a 3.00 and is blinking.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the Nitrite tester I have is PPB - if I do the conversation I have 0.06 Nitrites which I believe is well within limits. Randy’s suggested norm is 0.2.

The Ammonia there must be something because is keeps giving me 3.0 and flashes. I’ll try again tomorrow with that!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got Nitrite, ammonia and Phosphate test kits from Hanna and was nearly floored by a Nitrite Reading of 19 and Ammonia of 3! Now I now my tank is young but as you will see below things don’t look too shabby :) I tested with Red Sea kit and Salifert. Both Zero.

Anyone else had issues?
178FA718-3D23-47E2-90D5-D2FAC45CF6DF.jpeg

Would you confirm that the Hannah Checkers are satwater compatible?

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is your Ammonia checker yellow? If so thats a FW checker. I thought they had a nitrate checker, but can't seem to find it on either site.
unfortunately they do not make a nitrate checker. Nitrite yes, but not nitrate.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately they do not make a nitrate checker. Nitrite yes, but not nitrate.
Huh well then I f’d up and got a fresh water Ammonia Kit !! I had just assumed they were for salt water! Well that sorts that out then! I guess I should keep it as I will be building a fresh water nano at some point ! I’ll justify this stupidness as excellent forward thinking on my part :)

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe the nitrite is that high, but assuming it is, it is not a tox concern and I’d ignore it.

the ammonia could be real, and if it is, is a serious problem.
Seems the Ammonia tester is not for salt water Randy and that’s why it is giving me a flashing 3.0 result constantly. 2 other test kits show zero

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ShaggyRS6 can you link us, or give model numbers for exactly which checkers you have?

There are several Hanna checkers that they claim are not for saltwater, but do well anyway (Silica, Iron) - just not within Hanna's stated uncertainties probably due to interferences.
I don't know if the ammonia test is one of these that "sorta works" or if the chemistry totally fails in saltwater.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I only got the Nitrite, Pho’s and Ammonia. The first two are working, the issue I had with the Nitrite is it measures in Parts per Billion. So the 19 reading I get actually means a very low reading, and nothing to worry about, something a normal test kit would not even show up. I don’t think the Ammonia is meant for Salt water . Just gives me an error.

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I only got the Nitrite, Pho’s and Ammonia. The first two are working, the issue I had with the Nitrite is it measures in Parts per Billion. So the 19 reading I get actually means a very low reading, and nothing to worry about, something a normal test kit would not even show up. I don’t think the Ammonia is meant for Salt water . Just gives me an error.
IMO the good old API ammonia test is probably enough for most purposes: anything greenish means ammonia is present at a problematic level and either your cycle is not complete, or in an established tank, that something is very wrong and you need to take action.

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, i have been wondering why i keep getting 3.0 flashing on LR checker, i even diluted my sample to 3/10ths to make sure it was working, and it was, and both Elos and API read zero, in my defense though i did not buy it new and purchased 7 checkers from a guy who had a brand new dislay he had shutdown, because he could not get his chemistry stable. Well i guess i can stop freaking out now, and that mystery is solved.

I guess i can keep it for testing my RO.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back