Hanna DK checker!

Mr Mumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone using the Hanna checkers? I bought the blue alkalinity checker and the readings are so whacked. I’ve gotten different readings one after another. 8.9 yesterday and this morning it’s 7.8.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing roughly the same time everyday? And are you performing the test similar each time?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone using the Hanna checkers? I bought the blue alkalinity checker and the readings are so whacked. I’ve gotten different readings one after another. 8.9 yesterday and this morning it’s 7.8.
Mine has been going strong for 3 years.
You should always have a backup reference for when you get a strange reading. I use salifert and elos.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some important tips.

1. you must insure all bubbles are gone from the middle of the cuvette.

2. make you orient your glass the same way everytime. I.e. use the little 10ml marking in the front to keep it straight.

3. Your 10ML water measurements must be exactly the same.

4. you’re 1ML of solution must be exactly the same

5. if you have a fingerprint on the middle of the glass it will completely alter your reading.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is solid as a rock! I use it at least every other day and seems to be spot on every time. Key is testing same time every time. Once the lights come on your readings will drop. Also keep the vial perfect, no finger prints and fuzz on the glass and always have the 10ml facing the front so it reads the same every time. That being said if it’s giving you wild results and you’re doing everything exactly the same reach out to Hannah they will replace it for you

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This doesn't indicate a problem. Growing corals can easily consume 1 dKh of alkalinity or more per day.

If you're not feeling confident in the results, use another test kit type to confirm the readings. When I first ordered the alkalinity Checker, I double checked the reading using my Salifert every day for a week. Every single time it matched.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't indicate a problem. Growing corals can easily consume 1 dKh of alkalinity or more per day.

If you're not feeling confident in the results, use another test kit type to confirm the readings. When I first ordered the alkalinity Checker, I double checked the reading using my Salifert every day for a week. Every single time it matched.
Yes also alk will be lower in AM I think and your tank does consume it. Hence why we dose

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes also alk will be lower in AM I think and your tank does consume it. Hence why we dose

This is probably not true in all cases. If you only dose alkalinity once per day right when your lights first come on, then yes, your alkalinity is probably lowest in the morning before the lights come on.

However, corals aren't photosynthesizing at night, so it doesn't make sense that they would be growing and consuming alkalinity. I dose limewater every hour, even at night. So my alkalinity is probably highest first thing in the morning since I've been dosing alkalinity all night and no corals are growing.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dose once a day at the same time then yes your alk readings can vary by 1 a day or more depending on consumption.
Mine did on my 120 as I tested in the morning and dosed too.
My carx keeps alk within .3 24/7 now.
The same can be done with a dosing pump running multiple times a day.

I used to make sure the 10ml was facing me but now after 3 years I just make sure its clean and at the line.
I did get some strange readings a few days ago and changed the battery and back to normal.
I change it every 2 months now as its cheap.
I have never seen the low bat reading on the unit either.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably not true in all cases. If you only dose alkalinity once per day right when your lights first come on, then yes, your alkalinity is probably lowest in the morning before the lights come on.

However, corals aren't photosynthesizing at night, so it doesn't make sense that they would be growing and consuming alkalinity. I dose limewater every hour, even at night. So my alkalinity is probably highest first thing in the morning since I've been dosing alkalinity all night and no corals are growing.
I didn't mean to dose in the morning. I just meant we dose minerals period, as his tank does consume some why theyd be different from the day before regardless if he's not dosing. I think the Alk and PH will effect each other though, and isn't PH lower in mornings?

I don't remember the exact chemistry on it. possibly not correct.

Last edited:

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do the same.

Back